Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Retired Veterans

haliibut
Explorer C

After serving their country why are Retired Veterans, most who have served 20+ years, given NO priority boarding of any type? Allegiant is the only airline I know that does this and it's one of the reasons I fly Allegiant whenever I can. They also extend this courtesy to the spouse (with ID) when they are traveling with the member. They do require a valid ID  which any retired military should have. 

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Retired Veterans

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

You can tell Southwest that you'd like to see this  happen. Click on "contact us" below and proceed.

haliibut
Explorer C

Solution!? In my world solution means solved and that’s gonna take a little more than a few words in this case.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@haliibut You can scream and yell here or do what @dfwskier suggested which might actually lead to Southwest considering your suggestion.

You should know though that even Allegiant doesn't claim to offer priority boarding to veterans. Congrats if you have received it, but it's not a published perk

https://ir.allegiantair.com/news-releases/news-release-details/allegiant-honors-program-supports-us-...

Under the Allegiant Honors program U.S. active duty military, veterans, members of the National Guard, military reserve and their dependents are eligible for free services when they fly Allegiant. These include up to three pieces of checked baggage, one carry-on bag, one pet in cabin, courtesy boarding pass printing at the airport and free seat assignments, pending availability. In addition, active duty military may board flights with priority boarding at no charge, and will not be charged a change or cancelation fee due to a change in orders.

Pretty cool they will print your boarding pass for free though, that's an incredible perk. 

--TheMiddleSeat

haliibut
Explorer C

As usual people like to read in to what someone says rather than what they say. First I did exactly as was suggested. Second my comment stated very clearly “solved”, meant something a little different to me. Last if your copying Allegiant policy was some sort of attempt to prove me wrong please try again. I’ve been flying Allegiant for 8 years to many of the cities they fly to and without fail they have given priority boarding to retired military immediately after pre boarding. They also waive baggage and seat costs. Perhaps if you served you would know this but perhaps if you served you would have actually read the post.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@haliibut As I said, congrats.

Did you read that part?

Happy travels 

--TheMiddleSeat

OldFlyboy
Explorer C

(Been flying So'west as Active, now Retired, USAF Vet. since Herb's first 3 jets at Love Fld. 50+yrs ago.)  WHAT's the pt of "Contacting" them, WHEN this issue has been raised MANY times before here & elsewhere, INCLUDING directly w/ "Dallas?!" 

Simple matter of NOT putting $$ where their "LUV" mouth is, PERIOD. 😞

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

As others have noted this a customer to customer forum. It would be best to contact Southwest directly with your suggestions on pre boarding for Military veterans. That being said, Allegiant Air's seating policy is substantially different than Southwest's.

At Allegiant you preselect and pay for your seat selection or are assigned your seat 24 hours before check-in. 

Southwest's seating policy is open seating, 1st on, 1st choice of seat. Boarding priority is assigned by paying more for your ticket and/or being a frequent flyer.

If you would patronize SW rather than Allegiant you will increase your boarding priority or you could just pay the extra fee to board early when you fly SW.

Safe travels

floridaguy
Aviator C

I just preboard.  It is so nice that Southwest lets you get on before everyone else and get those prime seats.

Thank you Southwest.