Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

SW Response to my question about seat saving

Cobra269
Explorer C

We apologize for any frustration you and Rhonda experienced during our boarding process. As you know, all flights on Southwest are "open-seating," and Customers are free to take any available seat onboard the aircraft. We don’t have a specific policy regarding saving seats, and our Flight Attendants typically don’t prevent Customers from saving seats unless it interferes with our boarding process.

While we understand that Customers want to sit by their friends and family members and enjoy each other’s company, our hope is that early boarding Customers will not save too many seats for their traveling companions as it can be frustrating to a Customer when his/her seat of choice is being saved. I understand that you and Rhonda were disappointed, given that you purchased our EarlyBird Check-In amenity. You can be sure that I have shared your feedback with our Senior Leaders via our monthly summary.

The money saved isn't worth the aggrevation for us anymore. So we vote with our wallet and will fly a different airline from now on.  SW is a great airline and we have been loyal since 2006. Seat saving might not be an issue for you but it has gotten out of hand for us.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: SW Response to my question about seat saving

Jozzmenia
Explorer C

If I'm saving a seat for my spouse, I would say it's not longer an "available seat"... 😕

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Southwest allows seat saving. But don't worry, they've shared your feedback with Senior Leaders, so the problem is solved.

</sarcasm>

Jozzmenia
Explorer C

I asked this weekend. My husband was in the restroom AND had a lower boarding position than me. We are both 6'0" or higher. I got in an exit row and asked if it was ok to hold a seat for my husband. The flight attendant said "of course you can save a seat for your hubby" like it was obvious, which it seems to be to me. Why would you want to sit next to a disgruntled spouse who was there before you anyway? And she even helped me by telling people only one of the remaining exit rows was open, the aisle... seems very common sense to me.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Common sense would be to have a specific policy that spells out whether seat saving is or is not allowed. As it is, any passenger who wanted the seat you were saving could have taken it. And FAs are directed to not intervene in these situations. 

So, you were lucky.