Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

SWA is testing loading from the front and rear of plane?!?!

ccrunner456
Explorer C

I am sorry if this has already been posted. I recently read an article that says Southwest Airlines is trying to board at the front and back of planes at a few of the airports in the US. Has anyone been on one of these flights? How are they dealing with keeping people in Numwerical order as well as A-list/A-list preferred? I am a tall guy and A-list so I usually go to the exit row. My concern is with the changes that people from the back of the plane can run up to exit row..... Any updates people have would be great.

1 REPLY 1

Re: SWA is testing loading from the front and rear of plane?!?!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

@ccrunner456 wrote:

I am sorry if this has already been posted. I recently read an article that says Southwest Airlines is trying to board at the front and back of planes at a few of the airports in the US. Has anyone been on one of these flights? How are they dealing with keeping people in Numwerical order as well as A-list/A-list preferred? I am a tall guy and A-list so I usually go to the exit row. My concern is with the changes that people from the back of the plane can run up to exit row..... Any updates people have would be great.

It was posted earlier - also a few people have had this experience going back more than a year at Burbank and FLL and a couple of others, so we weren't really sure that this was a new feature at these airports which rely on using ramp/stairs to access instead of a jetbridge direct to the concourse as most airports use.

Basically you line up in the queue inside the concourse like normal, and when you get to the concourse door it is up to you to take the front or rear entry to the plane.

The main pro-tip for Burbank in particular was that if there are pre-boarders with mobility issues, you do stand a chance to reach the exit row from the rear of the plane as opposed to following the pre-boarders up through the front entrance...exactly as you described, if you think that may happen you should choose the rear stairwell for yourself.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.