Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Sadly Saying Goodbye to SWA

pfmyers58
Explorer C

I hope this message finds its way to SWA as a suggestion...

I've been a loyal SWA flier for many years. In the past couple of years, I've been purchasing Business Select to better my odds of getting an exit row seat. It used to be a cinch. But in the last few months, I lose that perk due to through-passengers changing seats before I board. I love SWA's business model, but this is one area which needs improvement. When passengers who pay (sometimes significant) extra dollars to board first and find the best choice of seats are displaced by passengers who paid much less, the model appears broken.

I've discussed with some of my colleagues who have left SWA for the same reason, and we've brainstormed a few fixes, but most would hamper turnaround time at the gate (e.g., not allowing throughs to relocate until after Business Select boards). The simplest solution would be to not allow through-passengers to change seats. This would keep them in seats relative to those they would have had with the new group of passengers boarding. Perhaps others might have a better suggestion.

I LUV Southwest Airlines and will miss the incredible people that are Southwest employees. I'll miss my Companion Pass, but I fly so often that I'll grab significant perks with another airline. And, I'll know that the extra money I pay will guarantee me a great seat. If SWA comes up with a solution, I'll be back!

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Sadly Saying Goodbye to SWA

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

This has been brought up before and I've still not seen a rebuttal to the idea that the people changing seats may have also purchased Business Select seats. Perhaps they were just late to board? You don't know if they purchased BS, but yet you assume they didn't and you believe you are entitled to the exit row. Additionally, if going by ticket cost alone, even on a WGA fare it may be possible for a through passenger to pay more than a BS traveler on a non-stop itinerary. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Also look for flight numbers that start with your origination airport and don't contain through passengers, if exit row-grabbing is a priority

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Taglwagner
Explorer C

Leaving soon as well.  Gone is the commitment to good service and on time arrivals.  They have become just another airline.  Sad to see a great airline become apathetic and lazy.