Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Samsonite full size as check in

piyushdhotre
Explorer C

Hi,

I’ll be taking a flight to Maui. I plan to check in my full size Samsonite(dimensions: 31.1" × 20.95" × 13.8"). So it’s 65.8 inches and the policy says 62 inches. 
I’ve checked this in multiple times in international flights but not in domestic. 
will southwest allow it as a check in or will they charge excess baggage fee?

Any suggestions as per your experience are appreciated.

thanks

piyush

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Samsonite full size as check in

floridaguy
Aviator C

If they go "by the book" it will be oversize.  I would call Southwest and ask and get an answer that you can quote.

I have seen bags weigh in at 51 lbs and the person was asked to either lighten the bag or pay the overage fee.  I'd imagine the same could be true for oversize as it is for overweight.

piyushdhotre
Explorer C

Thanks for your reply. 
I called them and they quoted the policy. They said they don’t measure it but the person at counter know what is an oversized item. 
so I agree that it’s better not to do it. But Just trying to avoid buying another luggage 

floridaguy
Aviator C

I always weigh my bag before going to the airport.  I've become pretty good at guessing the weight.  

It is no fun to deal with those issues at the airport.  Use luggage that is within the size limits and also the weight limit.  Life is easier that way.

floridaguy
Aviator C

A lot of this is like following the speed limit.  On Florida's Turnpike, the speed limit is 70.  Will you get stopped for going 72?  Probably not.

75?  Probably not.

78?  Probably.

80?  Very likely.

90?  Certainly.

The same goes for oversized luggage.  You have to balance what is likely against the inconvenience.  To suggest that no one is going to check is taking a chance, just like speeding on the Florida Turnpike.

ZevSupport
Frequent Flyer A

You can try bringing to the gate and asking them to gate check.

Community Champion | PHL based | ex-Companion Pass Holder | Southwest Passenger

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

That bag will not be questioned and you will be able to check without issue. No Southwest employee is going to pull out a tape measure based on 4 inches. Enjoy your flight. 

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

At the check in counter, checking bag dimensions is time consuming and not easy . themiddleseat is correct, no WN employee will question a big that's about an inch too big across the three dimensions - about  an inch each by length x height x width. Now if the bag is HUGE that is one thing. Yours is not.

Weight is a different story as when you check a bag you put it on a scale. So every bag gets weighed. It's easy for an employee to check that.

piyushdhotre
Explorer C

Thanks everyone. 
I agree this marginality shouldn’t be an issue. I’ll take it and see what happens. 
mill update after my trip

piyush

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@piyushdhotre wrote:

Thanks everyone. 
I agree this marginality shouldn’t be an issue. I’ll take it and see what happens. 
mill update after my trip

piyush

I've seen 100% of bags be weighed - it's a completely different scenario than the size which they will only question if it is obviously too big or it was a known type that is too large, I've never seen them measure a bag that wasn't clearly oversized.

Be prepared to pay the fee, but it would be unlikely.

But do make sure you are within the weight limit, might as well avoid any scrutiny.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.