Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Saving Seat Solutions

kaslekwene
Explorer B

I have encountered "seat saving" on multiple occasions. My solution is to do as many others have suggested doing, ask the person WHICH seat their butt is going to occupy because I am going to sit in the one that is left that isn't being directly and currently occupied.  I have had other passengers say nasty things to me as I proceed to sit down in the empty seat, after being told they are saving it for whomever, but I kindly tell them it is an open seat and I am going to occupy it. A few have changed seats so they can then sit with their companions and on one flight, I had one women who just constantly encroached on my space purposely, to be annoying and show her displeasure with me. I wish SW would implement a policy so that the flight attendants didn't have to deal with this.

I paid for earlybird entrance and I am going to use it to sit in ONE seat. YOU are entitled to your ONE seat as well, if you boarded ahead of me. A little human kindness and consideration goes a long way, as well as not being a greedy SOB.

colocali
Explorer C

I've been on two recent flights when the flight attendant announces that the flight is full, so if you're "trying to save a seat you haven't paid for," you need to move your stuff because all seats will be occupied. To me this implies that it's informally ok (I understand it's not a policy) to save a seat if you've paid for it. I'm A-list and my husband is not, and I always save a seat for him, never had any issues or confrontations about it. 

beezus3
Explorer C

"to save a seat if you've paid for it" But you haven't paid for the benefit of "saving that seat." People who paid $15 for Early Bird PAID for the benefit of choosing any open seat, not unsaved seats. If people can't sit apart from their spouses, friends and children, they should pay the fee to ensure they will be in similar boarding group. 

wc-itover
Explorer A
I actually had a flight attendant named Barbara tell us onboard flight #3902 to LA that SWA has an official seat saving policy. I should totally have asked to see it but didn't think fast enough. Pretty crazy to learn how inconsistent SWA's seating policies are. What's the point of boarding groups of people can just cheat the system? Next time I'll save rows of seats for my friends then-- if that's the official policy.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Sadly, Southwest does allow seat saving. They say they have no official policy "for or against it."

Screen Shot 2017-06-26 at 5.23.49 PM.png

spacecoastbill
Frequent Flyer B

And so we are left with a situation where someone wants to save a seat but has no way to keep it that way.  Anyone who wants to sit there, can.

tpg
Explorer C

This is so simple. The company needs to "man up" and state there is an official policy--"NO SEAT SAVING". Pay the dog gone fee and end the argument!

blsinmd
Adventurer B

I'll be traveling soon.  What do you do if you see seat saving?  A group of friends traveling together, one pays for Early Bird and saves all 3 front row seats.  Seen it for myself last December on a full flight to Jamaica.  SW should not allow this.  I will not only say something to the flight attendants but will also sit in the seat the person thinks they are saving for their friend at the end of the boarding line or still in the food court. It's just down right ignorant to think that you and your friends are that much more important than everyone else to do that, just plan ignorant.  SW needs to change the boarding procedure. If people want to choose there seats when booking, let them, charge them more. Those that don't current boarding rules apply.  Also, only allow 1 family/friend to board with the disabled, not the entire family of 6. 

Dunk
Explorer C

I had the exact same experience on both legs of a round trip this week from Denver to Lauardia and return.  Same passenger saved a seat for his wife in the exit row and blocked other passengers from sitting in the seat.  This created a tense confrontation with a passenger on the trip from Denver to LaGuardia owns then the exact same passenger doing the exact Sam behavior on flight 1337 from LaguardiaTO Denver 3 days later.  I am 6’2” and am A List Preferred and companion pass Qualified. The other gentleman was 6’5” and also A list preferred. The man claiming the seat bought an upgraded position so that he could get an exit row and save a seat.  Southwest this lack of a policy is a major turnoff to your best A list passengers who fly the most with you.   You need to solve this problem or folks will start flying with someone else that we can have status with where this won’t happen.  

chgoflyer
Aviator A

I think that Southwest's position on seat saving has made it clear that, if a particular seat is that important to you, you are better off flying another carrier. One who assigns seats.