Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Saving Seat Solutions

blsinmd
Adventurer B

Well you must be one of those that also partake in the unfair seat saving.  People that feel they matter more than others. Sorry but I feel SW needs to address the issue before it causes big problems, or even flights on flights.  It's bound to happen if it already hasn't.   Action by SW will show just how much they care about loyal customers, like the A Listers. 

CareforNOLA
Frequent Flyer A

@blsinmd, Southwest grew its company by appealing to two types of customers -- those traveling short-haul routes (cities that are close) and leisure travelers (who trade time and frills for savings).  Admittedly, "short"-haul business customers fared better when they were literally short (under 6 ft), yet that is true for every airline as well as every train, bus and automobile. 

Now they are courting more long-haul passengers, but assigning seats is a big change, and they have proven that assigned seats slows them down and cuts into profits, so it is unlikely to happen if it reduces profitability.  They do not want to be the same as other airlines.

I realize your point in that not saving seats is a different policy than assigning seats, but they have flown for a long time without it causing big problems.  If any person gets on the plane with a mindset of expecting a specific seat or a specific row in mind; sure, it causes potential for fights, but why would someone fly Southwest with that expectation?

I am an A-lister, and I am a short, short-haul customer, so I probably do not have the same bulkhead/exit row issues, but I frequently fly with three guys who are over 6 feet tall.  If they have a long haul flight, they often use different airlines. Because when we are on Southwest, we know there is no guarantee that one can get their preferred seating. 

If you choose to be angry about the topic, nothing I will say can change your mind, but try to consider the potential pros and cons of being a free-range passenger. 

Pros - (1) You might get lucky at times - a last minute change might result in Boarding Pass A3 or an excellent seat mate; (2) You can practice your softskills for sales that are useful in the workplace -- convincing someone to move or stop saving seats can feel like a win (if you accept the chance that you might not win); (3) more flight options because the company can have more flights if they turn planes quicker; (4) the potential money saved because more flights may mean cheaper flights; and mostly, (5) the chance to have a great flight probably does not involve sitting next to someone who has already shown disdain for your preferences - might as well move on if they won't allow you to sit there because even if y'all did sit next to each other, there would probably be other problems such as elbows, hair, seat shifting or shoes taken off.

Cons - (1) you might get unlucky at times - further back, less legroom or next to some unpleasant seatmate (oh, wait, I mentioned that one in the pros as a good thing to avoid); and (2) if you want to start a fight, the stubborn seat saver is probably happy to comply.

I have compared airline policies, times and prices because I am an A-lister, and I choose Southwest whenever I can because I like the freedoms (especially no change fees) and I choose to accept being a free range passenger every time I board because that is just what they offer.  That freedom thing means I don't want them to try to regulate every interaction between every customer or employee, and sometimes, that means that flying is not fun.  But sometimes it is!   (See True-LUV-in-Row-17

I hope your travels give you more good results than bad.  See you after A15 and before A60 (on most flights)!

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@blsinmd wrote:

Well you must be one of those that also partake in the unfair seat saving.  People that feel they matter more than others. Sorry but I feel SW needs to address the issue before it causes big problems, or even flights on flights.  It's bound to happen if it already hasn't.   Action by SW will show just how much they care about loyal customers, like the A Listers. 

Southwest allows seat saving.

Southwest apparently feels there is no issue to address.

Sounds like you have a problem with Southwest.

tpegan
Explorer A

Actually your comment applies to the people that feel it is so important to sit next each other that they save seats.  They are the ones that should fly another airline that has assigned seating.

tpegan
Explorer A

Southwest may say they don't have a policy on this issue but that is in essence setting a policy of seat saving being allowed.  

tpegan
Explorer A

I was on a Southwest flight a couple years ago where a woman was travelling with her teenage son.  They boarded late so couldn't sit next to each other.  The mother asked a flight attendant if there was any way they could sit together.  The flight attendant came on the intercom and asked if anyone was willing to switch seats so that this mother and son could sit together.  No one volunteered.  The flight attendant had the audacity to say that they weren't going to be leaving until someone agreed.  

krafty81
Adventurer C

The flight attendant had the audacity to say that they weren't going to be leaving until someone agreed.  

Wow...

RulesBroken
Explorer C

This happened to me as well. I paid to be in the A group. Why couldn't he do it as well? On top of that, three A listers had to leave there front row seat so El Cheapo could be with his daughter.