Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Saving Seats Problem - Here is what you can do

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Co-worker? Nice try. Spouse...yes. Young kids...yes. Fiance? I'll even get up out of my aisle and take a middle for them at the end of boarding. Co-worker...see you in 3.5 hours!

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Explorer B

I like your comments and agree. I do not save seats for co-workers, but I will save a seat for my husband, and we always take one middle. He has Companion Pass. I recently tried to pay the additional for him to board sooner, but it would not allow this option. It doesn't bother me when someone saves a seat or even two; what seems truly unfair is when someone saves a block of seats, such as every exit seat for their friends traveling to Cancun (this was last month).

Since my husband is considered disabled, we could readily pre-board. I see so many who appear to take advantage of this, but I don't know their story and try my best to give the benefit of the doubt. My husband is also mobile, so we don't take advantage; it doesn't feel right. I just save a non-choice seat. I am surprised at how many get so angry over a person wanting to sit next to their spouse when clearly the next row is fully open. Are they trying to prove a point? I find it much more aggravating when people talk exceptionally loud, do nothing to stop their fighting children, have a bad cough and don't cover their mouth, put their seat back only to lean forward for most of the trip, or spill over into my seat.

bulkheadbill
Explorer C

What about saving seats for my wife AND girlfriend?

dfwskier
Aviator A

@bulkheadbill wrote:

What about saving seats for my wife AND girlfriend?

Do plan to take the middle seat, or do you intend to let them glare at one another nose to nose?

hockeydiva
Adventurer B

Had the same issue a few months ago--but the seat the guy was saving for his coworker was an aisle seat a row or two ahead--so not even adjacent to his. I was travelling with my 6 year old daughter.

When I replied that SW had open seating, he said something like "I fly this flight every week so F___ off" (defintely used the f--- word.) He was very combative.

I decided not to battle with him directly, but I was concerned enough about his behavior that I alerted the FA. He sort of shrugged his shoulders and said if the behavior continued I should let him know. 

Issues with seating have already led me to switch business to other airlines. 

emptynestmom
Explorer C

My husband and I encountered this issue of "saving seats" for family members when returning from the Dominican Republic this past week. It was a 3 1/2 hour flight, and we always purchase the Early Bird option when we fly...

When we boarded, two members of a family had "saved" 12 seats (two complete rows) for family boarding later, as in the C group,....I was not impressed, nor were others who came later and attempted to sit in the "saved seats." Despite the questions and stares, they did save all 12 seats for family only two of which were young children. 

Frustrating . . .

spacecoastbill
Frequent Flyer B

Just sit there.  Ignore the claims of a saved seat.

Abhadra
Explorer C

For any policy there are always egregious flaunters. So the question is what is the scale of the offense. Saving 12 seats would be pretty unacceptable by any gauge. Definitely should not try to “save” prime seats. Where on the scale would, for example,  trying to save your “B” group spouse a single middle seat with you at the back of the plane fall? 

It boils down to the level of conflict/competition for a specific seat location.

MCarmichael0708
Explorer C

I believe Southwest needs a clear policy on it.  Families flying together -- even checking in at the same time can get completely different boarding numbers based on their status.  I am AList Preferred and I'm always in the A group.  I travel all year long.  For the one trip I travel with my kids...I should be able to save their seats so that we can sit together.  I would NEVER pick a person's stuff up and sit in their seat and hand it to them.  Really?  That's rediculous.  Why don't you pay extra to get an early boarding pass so that you can sit where you want to?  The policy of first come first serve should apply to the person boarding the plane.  If there was a policy that I could not save seats for my kids...I would respect that too.  BUT THERE ISN'T A POLICY!

tnsplayer
Explorer C

MCarmichael0708 

I hear what you are saying about savng seats for your kids.....  Having seen what MOST people do, which is spouses skimping on paying the extra early bird to board together or also  the saving of multiple seats for party groups, I would say that you are not in the majority of people who are scamming the system.  That being said, you would have to understand that you are probably feeling the frustration of people who have seen this underhanded ploy a few too many times.  I always pay for my 16 yr old daughter & I to board at the same time even though I could easily do the same thing other people do and save some money.  I try to live by the golden rule of "do unto others"....  You want to sit with your kids but the people boarding behind you probably also want to sit with their loved ones and all they see is middle seats  and empty "saved seats".  

You are right that the airline does not have a rule against saved seats but they also do not have a rule allowiing you to save a seat.  So if someone comes and sits in a seat that you have "saved" you should probably check your outrage.