Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Saving Seats Problem - Here is what you can do

mouseluvr
Explorer C

This is actually not correct.  There are passengers who board the plane, take a row and mom takes little Jenny to the bathroom.  In that case they may put the items in the seat, but the reality is those seats are indeed already claimed, but nature required a trip to the potty.  Flight attendants absolutely will go against you.  I will make you find another seat while that family is taking care of business. 

davidonelson
Explorer B

So be it.

You failed mention the people who say like "I'm saving the seat for my wife who is in the restroom", but then later the wife comes on the plane and takes the saved seat (which has happened to me).

Are you going to be equally fair in this situation, and make the person who cheated get out of that saved seat and give it to the proper person who is already seated and farther back in the plane???   I assume not.

Families should use the restroom before getting on the plane.  Trying to use the restroom while boarding causes unncessary delays.  Except for bathroom emergency, if the person wants to keep their seat, the person should wait a few minutes  until boarding is not in progress.

DfDrPepper_23
Frequent Flyer C

The reason why that they implying about saving seat is either they are biasing on who we are or they just didn't want to be bothered by you.

ffflyer
Frequent Flyer B

SW may say that they have no policy but it's obvious that their policy is to allow saving seats.

You can either challenge the seat saver by just sitting in an open seat or move on to the back of the plane.

Or, you can select an airline that allows you to reserve your seat when you purchase your ticket.

SW is, for me, usually the least expensive and most convenient choice.

But at what point does the frustration they create outweigh their convenience and costs? 

By not having the flight attendants enforce a policy one way or the other SW is leaving it up to their customers.  Eventually this will likely result in a violent outcome on board a crowded flight.  I for one don't want to be on that flight. I don't want to be injured by a bar brawl on a plane. I don't even want to be delayed as airport security is called in to remove the combatants. 

SW is well aware of this problem and could easily fix it with a policy either for or against saving seats. If they won't do anything then I guess I'll have to use another airline.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@ffflyer wrote:

SW may say that they have no policy but it's obvious that their policy is to allow saving seats.

You can either challenge the seat saver by just sitting in an open seat or move on to the back of the plane.

Or, you can select an airline that allows you to reserve your seat when you purchase your ticket.

SW is, for me, usually the least expensive and most convenient choice.

But at what point does the frustration they create outweigh their convenience and costs? 

By not having the flight attendants enforce a policy one way or the other SW is leaving it up to their customers.  Eventually this will likely result in a violent outcome on board a crowded flight.  I for one don't want to be on that flight. I don't want to be injured by a bar brawl on a plane. I don't even want to be delayed as airport security is called in to remove the combatants. 

SW is well aware of this problem and could easily fix it with a policy either for or against saving seats. If they won't do anything then I guess I'll have to use another airline.

Actually, SW by not having a policy is telling you that seat saving is OK.

Whether it drives you to another airline is up to you. All airlines do some things well, and other things not so well.

Other airlines may charge you for seats, for checked bags, for carry on bags, for drinks and snacks, for changing a flight, and charge a fee of $200 mor more for trying to use the airlines' version of travel funds. If you are OK with those things and are willing to put up with them to avoid SW's seat savers -- go for it. 

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

Hi everyone! To clarify, we do not have a policy for or against saving seats. Violence is never tolerated, and anyone involved in an altercation of this nature would be immediately denied boarding. As you can imagine, with aircraft of up to 175 Customers, we are unable to monitor everyone's seating experience. Throughout the boarding process, our Flight Attendants have various Safety related duties including preparing the aircraft for takeoff and ensuring those who select the exit row understand their roles in the event of an emergency. When other Customers inquire about the availability of a particular seat, we would hope that our Customers would stick to the “Golden Rule.” 

Nicole
Community Manager

ffflyer
Frequent Flyer B

@ NicoleAshley I beg to differ. SW may say that they don't have a policy regarding seat saving but they obviously allow people to save seats and even entire rows of seats.

SW would rather have the passengers argue over seat saving than establish and enforce a clear policy one way or the other.

This is a lawsuit in the making and I hope SW get's their money's worth out of the free press if, God forbid, this does result in violence on a plane.

msp1954
Explorer C

Hello Nicole,

Actually I disagree - since nearly every SW flight I have boarded has Flight Attendants make an announcement saying SW has an "open seating policy" which on face value equates to (and some have said this), "any unoccupied seat is available for passengers to sit in."  How can you say that these FA statement are the same as saying "no seat saving".  If this isn't what it means, then the FA's should be saying we have open seating, but you may save a seat next to you for a family member or friend.  You really can't have it both ways. 

TiredOfIt
Explorer C

I had to Google 'The Golden Rule' Treat others the way you'd like to be treated. I would like to be treated 'FAIRLY' Is it fair for someone who is saving the seat I paid extra for? NO! I think making it Fair for everyone would be following the Golden Rule even if that means I'm sitting on peoples stuff

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

@DfDrPepper_23,

Demonstrating a biased, hurtful attitude is not condoned at Southwest Airlines. Indeed, discrimination for any reason is wrong. While this Community is a peer-to-peer support forum, we encourage you to contact us via the options in the link below. Thanks!

https://www.southwest.com/contact-us/contact-us.html?clk=GFOOTER-CUSTOMER-CONTACT-US

Nicole
Community Manager