Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Saving Seats

Nece002
Explorer C

I don't know....I think SW should assign seats like other aircrafts.  I mean....How much more costly can that be?  It would seemingly be better customer service than having a family of 3 or more try to hold seats.  And how fair is to hold seats to to other passengers anyway, who paid just as much as another to get a "first come first serve" seat.   They need a better solution.  Tickets are too pricey for the seat hassles.

mattcollins35
Explorer C

Buy your family business select or atleast early bird check in and board together.

hockeydiva
Adventurer B

Absolutely! If you are spending $200,000 on SW every year, what's an extra $60 when your family flies with you? Or get them business select tickets, and they will soon be A-List too!

ddart
Explorer B

Sorry chris535355 - I have to disagree.  No doubt you travel a lot, my guess is on the company dime.  But that does not give you the right to save multiple seats - pay the early bird fees for each, and board together.

Nor does it give ANYONE the right to save a seat.  This is becoming an issue, and like a previous post there is going to be some confrontations soon on flights.  SW has to institue a policy that customers understand and the airline can enforce.  Given the amount of comments regarding this topic, it needs to be addessed before SW is on the nightly news like other carriers we avoid because we like SW.  

And from a different thread, as long as we are discussing things that may get passengers upset, the reclining seat issue.  Folks - if a seat reclines, the purchaser of that seat has the right to recline - period.  It stinks if you have long legs or have your laptop out working when that seat comes back, I get that.  But as a purchaser of the seat, if it reclines, and I want to lay back the 2 inches it allows it should be alllowed without incident.  From a earlier post, I learned that asking the person behind you if they mind you reclining while you are chosing your seat is a classy move.  I will do so moving forward.

Golden rule people - treat those as you want to be treated.  Air travel is tough and expensive - everyone is in the same boat.  Those with small children and traveling - bless you.  Stress level is increased exponentially.  Everyone hang in there, and we all will get to our destinations with the SW crew and a little bit of patience.

FlightMD
Explorer C

chris535355

That's exactly what we are saying. Your benefit is for you, and you alone. So yea, board with them or pony up the funds so they can board early.

Say you go to subway a lot and have they frequent-buying card and now you are due for a free sandwich. I guess you think your wife and three kids should all get free sandwiches as well right? It doesn't follow.

So don't be surprised when you get into a fight with another A boarding passenger in the future.

MCOAnne
Explorer A

wrote:

So let me put you in my shoes. I have 3 kids and a wife. I'm A1 and board first. Your telling me I should sit in the front like I expect to because I spend so much, and I should only save a seat for 1 kid. Meanwhile my wife and other 2 kids should sit in the back of the plane. Try that with your significant other and kids and see how that works. Also, please dont say then you all sit in the back because I spend a lot, most likely more then everyone else, and I feel as If I should be able to sit wherever I want. Mainly because again I spend ALOT. The rest are just looking for a cheap fare. And like Southwest always says, you have plenty of options when flying 🙂

Thanks!

This has to be one of the most self-entitled posts I have ever read.  Spend $15 per for your family to get EB and get over yourself.  I fly as much as you do and am embarrassed for you. 

TDS1951
Explorer C

We just flew on Friday from Ft. Lauderdale to Sacramento with a stop in Phoenix.  In FLL we observed AT LEAST 26 preboarders (didn't start counting at the beginning).  Only one was in a wheelchair with a cast on her foot.  There were a couple elderly people who walked slowly and with difficulty.  Everyone else must have had disabilities that aren't apparent.   But it was quite strange that at least two groups included children and at least two adults with no apparent difficulty in moving AND keeping track of their children and multiple carryons.  We had paid clear back in late 2016 for EBCI yet our numbers were in the A40s.  That, in addition to all the preboarders put us essentially into the B group at about 65-70th boarded.  I don't object to preboarders with legitimate...seen or not...disabilities but I have a real problem with their needing more than one attendant.  Particularly if said "attendants" are children who have another adult who could mind them.  And then when they all get up to leave first it's really irritating.  Even if it's more efficient for SW, it's definitely bad for customer relations.  Also, I just checked the fares for RT SMF-FLL for identical days and close as could be managed flights for AA and SW.  Even with baggage fees AA was about $150 cheaper than SW and a person could pick their seat.

35ftcabo
Explorer C

Last few SW flights I've flown on the attendant says you can sit in any seat that doesn't have a person in it.  Which is fair.  I don't mind a person saving the seat next to them - which would be a middle, but certainly not whole rows or, unbelievably, exit row seats.

CareforNOLA
Frequent Flyer A

Wow - what passion people have on this topic!  It makes me glad that 95% of my flights are me traveling alone on short haul flights...that is, alone with the other 131 people on the plane who all arrive at the same time and all get off within 15 minutes of the first person who exits.

When traveling with a companion, I move back to their boarding position, but even though I thought I was doing the fairest thing, I once had a comment from someone who said that if I didn't board in my right spot in line, I should wait until after all the people who "understand what boarding in numerical order means."  I explained that I wanted to sit with my companion but did not want to upset people by saving a seat after I boarded in numerical order.  That was met with a huge puff of exasperation, so nothing I said or did would have made a bit of difference.

My mama always told me, "Nobody ever said life was fair," and it is sound advice for me to remember that when I feel an attitude coming on.  I do not know what is going on with someone else, and I try to think the best of them.  Maybe a tight connection or traveling with someone who is anxious about flying.  It may not be true but it keeps me moving on.

Haipham2017
Adventurer B

@CareforNOLA wrote:

Wow - what passion people have on this topic!  It makes me glad that 95% of my flights are me traveling alone on short haul flights...that is, alone with the other 131 people on the plane who all arrive at the same time and all get off within 15 minutes of the first person who exits.

When traveling with a companion, I move back to their boarding position, but even though I thought I was doing the fairest thing, I once had a comment from someone who said that if I didn't board in my right spot in line, I should wait until after all the people who "understand what boarding in numerical order means."  I explained that I wanted to sit with my companion but did not want to upset people by saving a seat after I boarded in numerical order.  That was met with a huge puff of exasperation, so nothing I said or did would have made a bit of difference.

My mama always told me, "Nobody ever said life was fair," and it is sound advice for me to remember that when I feel an attitude coming on.  I do not know what is going on with someone else, and I try to think the best of them.  Maybe a tight connection or traveling with someone who is anxious about flying.  It may not be true but it keeps me moving on.

I have a story I need to tell you. I was boarding and talked with a very nice woman and her daughter behind me. I saw a window seat so I asked the man who said in the ailse about window seat and he told me it is his wife's seat and she is in the bathroom. Then the nice woman behind me just said to him "hi Honey". I just smile and looked straight at him but said nothing and I saw his face turned red since I caught him just lied to me.