Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Saving Seats

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@SWDigits wrote:

@RSH_Houston wrote:

the only good answer is for all non-Business Select passengers to disembark from the aircraft and reboard using their original boarding number.

The point, any seat, that a Business Select customer would like, occupied by anyone other than another Business Select customer is a travesty of the design and purpose of the fare.

Thanks @RSH_Houston, this is what I was looking for! I'm a problem solver by nature so trying to gather a list of potential seating solutions when I see folks comment on seating.

You make me laugh with some of your assumptions 🙂 My first flight on Southwest was in the early 90's out of BWI (I love this blog post by the way, see the second route map) but my family took an "extended" break from Southwest due to... wait for it... a seating issue (it's not a complaint, just a statement of fact). The short story is that my wife was travelling with our two young sons in 2000 (I was flying in the Navy, a 1310 in Navy speak, and deployed, she was going to visit my family while I was gone) with a connection in Phoenix and the first flight was late but she was able to make the connection. Barely. There were some not so helpful passengers on the flight and there were helpful passengers on the flight.

I hope you would have been a helpful passenger, though I'm guessing you would have been because you're here sharing your experience to help others!

Glad you are back @SWDigits and welcome addition to this community, and thank you for your service in the Navy. 

I hope that more people would accomodate a family like that, I know I have and have seen others do that even if I had claimed an aisle seat with my A-list position. In the case of a tight connection like that with delays to your family, it's not their fault and we all could be more respectful of each other to help someone out when they need it.

Side note: family, especially with small children - yes, newlyweds - yes, married but anxious - yes, co-workers - no - you guys can catch back up when we land.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

booatx
Explorer B

In response to the reclining seat issue only, I wish I could say the same.  I am an A-lister so I am typically on the flight early.  Even so, I now try to put my psychic powers to work on choosing a seat wherein the person who ultimately chooses to sit in front of me will not recline.  My powers are apparently weak.  I loose that mental game more times than not.  I am actually amazed at how frequently I loose in that choice.  

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@booatx wrote:

In response to the reclining seat issue only, I wish I could say the same.  I am an A-lister so I am typically on the flight early.  Even so, I now try to put my psychic powers to work on choosing a seat wherein the person who ultimately chooses to sit in front of me will not recline.  My powers are apparently weak.  I loose that mental game more times than not.  I am actually amazed at how frequently I loose in that choice.  

I do like exit rows or the row behind the exit row for this reason.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

The seats in any row in front of the exit rows do not recline, so they (the exit rows) would be perfect for @booatx 

(Edited to clarify)

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@chgoflyer wrote:

The seats in any row in front of the exit rows do not recline, so they would be perfect for @booatx 

I read it as he doesn't want the row in front of him to recline into his space, so he wants to be at least two rows into the non-reclining section for his own seat instead of sitting in the first non-reclining row - so the row after the exit rows would work, but not the row in front of the exit row.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I've edited my post for clarity.

I was actually responding to your post, which I found a bit confusing. For anyone not wanting the person in front of them to recline into their space, exit row seats are perfect, as the seats in front of them do not recline. 😉

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

To have clear airspace sit in exit rows or one row behind the exit row.

MDFLYER
Explorer C

Yes, I contacted SW about this directly last year and in their email response they said they don't have a policy prohibiting it.  My solution was to fly with a different airline whenever possible, and I have been doing exactly that.  By the time you pay the SW ticket plus the extra cost for early boarding, you're at about the same price anyway.  Moreover, you get to choose your seat before boarding and avoid that potential confrontation with the rude folks.

Rheumann
Explorer C

For preferred members it can very frustrating when exit rows are saved especially on long flights. When you travel for business and are a preferred member you should have some preference for exit row or bulk head. (When bulk head is not occupied by someone with a disability) Coming home from Atlanta had a couple of people buy an upgrade for a whopping $50 each and than save two rows on a 800 for friends. When I said something the flight attendant said we don’t have a policy.  I occasionally have my wife with me and if I get an exit row the only seat I would save for her is a middle seat and that if someone doesn’t come on and ask for the seat, I love southwest and this is a frustration I know from other preferred members. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Rheumann wrote:

For preferred members it can very frustrating when exit rows are saved especially on long flights. When you travel for business and are a preferred member you should have some preference for exit row or bulk head. (When bulk head is not occupied by someone with a disability) Coming home from Atlanta had a couple of people buy an upgrade for a whopping $50 each and than save two rows on a 800 for friends. When I said something the flight attendant said we don’t have a policy.  I occasionally have my wife with me and if I get an exit row the only seat I would save for her is a middle seat and that if someone doesn’t come on and ask for the seat, I love southwest and this is a frustration I know from other preferred members. 

You have to comprehend the total package of what airlines offer.

With almost every other airline, you have baggage fees, change fees, cancellation fees, seat selection fees, some have snack and beverage fees, or even fees to carry a small bag on board. Some even charge you for printing your boarding pass at the airport. Some do offer elite flyer clubs at airports.

With Southwest you have none of those, and if you fly enough, you can earn a companion pass where someone gets to fly free when you do. NO OTHER airline offers anything like it, Yeah, you have to put up with seat saving.

Which total package is better?