Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Saving Seats

wallywoobird
New Arrival

Call me an introvert if you must, but what's the big deal about sitting with your 'loved' ones? Unless you must provide care for a underage or infirmed passenger just sit separately for three hours, why can't you? It's not a party going on. If you do have to provide personal care then PAY to board together in the A group. Good grief already, all you snowflakes!

 

Luff ya SW!!

Re: Saving Seats

dfwskier
Top Contributor

 


@wallywoobird wrote:

Call me an introvert if you must, but what's the big deal about sitting with your 'loved' ones? Unless you must provide care for a underage or infirmed passenger just sit separately for three hours, why can't you? It's not a party going on. If you do have to provide personal care then PAY to board together in the A group. Good grief already, all you snowflakes!

 

Luff ya SW!!


What if your loved ones are aged 7,9, and 10?

Re: Saving Seats

spacecoastbill
Active Member

@dfwskier wrote:

 


@wallywoobird wrote:

Call me an introvert if you must, but what's the big deal about sitting with your 'loved' ones? Unless you must provide care for a underage or infirmed passenger just sit separately for three hours, why can't you? It's not a party going on. If you do have to provide personal care then PAY to board together in the A group. Good grief already, all you snowflakes!

 

Luff ya SW!!


What if your loved ones are aged 7,9, and 10?


Then buy priority boarding if you want to have a much better chance of sitting together.  

Re: Saving Seats

RSH_Houston
Active Member

As said in my reply to your earlier post, simply let them fly elsewhere in the plane.

 

Kids love being given the (supervised) independence and should have a much more enjoyable experience than flying with an overbearing parent. Mention what you are doing to most any SWA Flight Attendent and they will dote all over your kid(s)!

 

Smiley Wink

Re: Saving Seats

JenTakesFlight
New Arrival

My youger sister and I were flying from AZ to NYC in September 2018, and even though she is a teenager, it was her first flight without our mom and first time flying across country. She theoretically could have sat apart from me but due to the situation we wanted to sit together. It calms nerves (helpful if you aren't a seasoned flyer), you can chat about your trip plans, share music, and it's just overall more fun! We unfortunaly ended up in boarding group C on a full flight for our way to NYC and so we decided to paid the extra $50 each to upgrade to a better position.

Re: Saving Seats

DancingDavidE
Top Contributor

@wallywoobird wrote:

Call me an introvert if you must, but what's the big deal about sitting with your 'loved' ones?


I think it goes quite a bit beyond introvert - I assure you that the vast majority of familial, acquainted, and even the occasional co-worker passengers do want to sit together. 

 

I have known a few that don't sit together, planning to sleep and/or read a book - that's great, but I hope we can agree that this isn't the typical case.

 

 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Re: Saving Seats

Jwalsh3rd
Active Member

I am an A-lister also, usually pay for Business Select and also have seen an abuse of the seat saving rule.  As with almost anything with rules, the abusers (less tha 5% of the population in my experience) force the establishment of more and more rules.  I am comfortable personally for a couple sitting together in a saved seat.  On numerous occassions I have had requests on assigned seat airlines to trade to accomodate someone sitting with a spouse, a business companion or a a parent and child and these are usually OK by me.  I think we all have to get used to flights being full, families like to sit together and during summer and school breaks the problem peaks.

Re: Saving Seats

RSH_Houston
Active Member

I'm all about accomodating respectful flyers who might have this request, in the very unlikely occurence that they can not do so when boarding in their assigned position.

 

If a couple or a pair of business associates wants to be guaranteed the ability to sit together, they should purchase like tickets, or as the gate agent usually announces when he/she starts the lining up process,"you may move back to where that person is boarding, but not vice versa". Families with young children board after Group A as you know, pretty much assuring them of ALL being able to sit together. 

 

However, the purchasing of one upgraded boarding pass, for the purpose of "holding" an additional seat in an area where typically, A-Listers and Business Select people sit [the front rows and the extra leg room over the wing exit rows (children can't sit there anyway)] creates a kind of homogenity that is unacceptable to me. Doesn't this just smack of entitlement? Especially when, through either my SWA loyalty, or my purchase of a Business Select fare, afford me that priority in choice.

 

I, and many others, have the same issues with "through" passengers who jump into these seats as the terminating passengers disembark.

 

And many Crew Members, withwhom I have had this discussion over the years, agree. 

Re: Saving Seats

spacecoastbill
Active Member

@RSH_Houston wrote:

I'm all about accomodating respectful flyers who might have this request, in the very unlikely occurence that they can not do so when boarding in their assigned position.

 

If a couple or a pair of business associates wants to be guaranteed the ability to sit together, they should purchase like tickets, or as the gate agent usually announces when he/she starts the lining up process,"you may move back to where that person is boarding, but not vice versa". Families with young children board after Group A as you know, pretty much assuring them of ALL being able to sit together. 

 

However, the purchasing of one upgraded boarding pass, for the purpose of "holding" an additional seat in an area where typically, A-Listers and Business Select people sit [the front rows and the extra leg room over the wing exit rows (children can't sit there anyway)] creates a kind of homogenity that is unacceptable to me. Doesn't this just smack of entitlement? Especially when, through either my SWA loyalty, or my purchase of a Business Select fare, afford me that priority in choice.

 

I, and many others, have the same issues with "through" passengers who jump into these seats as the terminating passengers disembark.

 

And many Crew Members, withwhom I have had this discussion over the years, agree. 


Well spoken.

Re: Saving Seats

SWDigits
Rising Star

@RSH_Houston wrote:

I, and many others, have the same issues with "through" passengers who jump into these seats as the terminating passengers disembark.

 

And many Crew Members, withwhom I have had this discussion over the years, agree. 



@RSH_Houston the comment about through passengers caught my eye. What would you propose given the open seating policy and tight turn times on these flights?

I'm genuinely curious to understand the logic and the root cause of the frustration.

Customer | Home airport DCA