Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Skateboards as Personal Items

arfranco
Explorer C

Would I be able to bring a backpack and my skateboard on as a carry on and personal item respectively, or would I have to check it in?

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Skateboards as Personal Items

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

You should be fine carrying both a backpack and a skateboard onto the plane. Here's Southwest's official policy regarding skateboards:

Skateboard, may be substituted for a carryon or a checked bag. If the skateboard fits under the seat, it does not need to be in a bag or covered, but it does have to be stowed with the wheels up so that it doesn't roll. If stowed in an overhead bin, a skateboard must be stowed with the wheels up and needs to be in a bag or have the wheels covered (trash bag is acceptable) so as not to damage other articles.

Many people carry on much more/bigger items so I don't foresee any problems for you. You should probably bag it as mentioned. 

tmjustins
Explorer C

anyone know if there's a length limit for this? i have a longboard that is about 4 feet long

dfwskier
Aviator A

I don't have a specific answer for you -- just my personal opinion.

Since the max dimension of a carry on is 24x16x10, I suspect that something that is 48+ inches long might be stretching it a bit. You might get away with a 30 inch board.

If someone has anything more authoritative than my opinion, please speak up.

tmeyerrose
Explorer C

I’ve got a 38 inch longboard myself, and was wondering if I’d be able to take that plus a carry on bag. About a year ago I had seen someone with a similar sized board with them and just wanted to make sure it’d be alright taking that size myself before I get all the way to the checking station and get told I can’t take it.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@tmeyerrose wrote:

I’ve got a 38 inch longboard myself, and was wondering if I’d be able to take that plus a carry on bag. About a year ago I had seen someone with a similar sized board with them and just wanted to make sure it’d be alright taking that size myself before I get all the way to the checking station and get told I can’t take it.

The board is too big to fit under a seat, so it would not qualify as a person item. Southwest says it can be a carry on, but you are limited to one carry on and not two. The question becomes can your carry on fit under a seat? If so, it's a personal item..

"

• Skateboard, may be substituted for a carryon or a checked bag. If the skateboard fits under the seat, it does not need to be in a bag or covered, but it does have to be stowed with the wheels up so that it doesn't roll. If stowed in an overhead bin, a skateboard must be stowed with the wheels up and needs to be in a bag or have the wheels covered (trash bag is acceptable) so as not to damage other articles.

https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/baggage/special-luggage-pol.html

tmeyerrose
Explorer C

Well the bag itself is small enough to fit under the seat. But if I am unable to fit it then I’m not going to worry about the longboard then