Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Solution for South Wests Preboard nightmare

spacecoastbill
Frequent Flyer B

If it were one or two that did not appear to meed to pre board, that may be one thing.... but we are talking many, many more especially in LAS, MCO, ISP, JFK, LGA, PHX......

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

@AnnaBear wrote:

I look for a very specific seat against the wall where the wallboard is out right at the headrest, not indented into a window (I don't even care if there is a window, I just need the wall), preferably on the left side of the plane since that's my injured side.  I NEED this seat on any flight over an hour, because almost assuredly my back and neck will start spazzing uncontrollably and I will be in excruciating pain without some support and something to lean on.  I will go as far back as I have to in order to find one of these seats.  

The reason I fly southwest is solely because of the open seating.  If I buy seat "15A" on X airline, the chance of the window being in the right spot is less than 5%, cannot predict it because of the large number of plane variations. 

You might want to check out Seat Guru for the 737-700 and -800, and then if you do end up flying the other guys once in a while there are seat plans for their planes as well (more variation though instead of just a few 737 variants).

Anyway - these won't point out exactly what you are looking for, but they do point out seats that don't recline as well as a few "window" seats where due to the structure of the plane there is not a window portal at all.

@AnnaBear wrote:

... On my last flight I was asked if I needed a specific seat or more time to board.  I said both.  She said, and I quote, "It can't be both you have to choose".  What?  You know of disabled people that DON'T need more time?  Then she got mad when I assured her I need a specific seat.  I assure you, the judgement alone makes it almost not worth doing.  

This is a semantics issue - Southwest has two options, one is the traditional preboarding where a customer needs a specific seat. The second is for customers that need additional time (but not a specific seat) and which boards between A60 and B1. 

If you felt that both applied you would request the regular preboarding. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

CupCrusher40
Frequent Flyer B

If the early passengers  sat in the back you could board in 10-15 minutes.

vince_geg
Explorer C

As communicated by many here the issue isn't with legitimate preboarders, but those circumventing the system, of which there are clearly many.  The word is out that gate agents cannot question any statement given by those requesting preboard, and those cheating the system know exactly what answers to give.  Seems that a simple solution would be to create a mixed cabin, with the front x number of rows as "premium" assigned seats, with the rear section of the plane as General FCFS like SWA does currently.  This would serve many benefits, first creating a premium product for BS, AL and ALP customers perhaps drawing some of the business travelers back that SWA is losing to other carriers.  Second, you would see a drastic drop of preboarders because the benefit of cheating the system is somewhat lost thereby allowing for a cleaner, more organized boarding process.  Third, it still benefits legitimate preboarders who can select a specific seat which accommodates their specific disability or preboard reason. Finally it drives revenue for SWA in enticing people to spend more on BS tickets, or "upgrading" to a premium front of plane seat.

ronnyradio
Adventurer A

will be interesting to see the number of pre-boards for the upcoming 5-6 hour Hawaii flights. Can't imagine paying the fares I am seeing (after the low gimmick intro fares) for no meals, no E plus product and 30-50 preboards

dfwskier
Aviator A

@ronnyradio wrote:

will be interesting to see the number of pre-boards for the upcoming 5-6 hour Hawaii flights. Can't imagine paying the fares I am seeing (after the low gimmick intro fares) for no meals, no E plus product and 30-50 preboards

As a point of reference, over the 400+ flights I've taken in the last 10 years, I don't recall a flight with more than 10 pre-boards (not counting those in wheel chiars).

spacecoastbill
Frequent Flyer B

PHX-LAS and MCO have them all the time.

vcb1956
Explorer C

Pre-board issue crazy for Business Select and that’s why only a handful of us left...  Was 22nd on-board today and garnet agent just want to insure cattle boarded...  I’m sure Senior Management could care less...  Airtran has the boarding and seat-selection process perfect but stubborn Texas mindset will not budge. Cest le vie 

Jima
Explorer B

Charge a pre-boarding fee of $10 for the privilege of getting on before the Business Select customers. 

floridaguy
Aviator C

Might I suggest that you review FEDERAL LAW before posting such comments as recommendations to Southwest?