Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Solution for South Wests Preboard nightmare

dfwskier
Aviator A

@dw0427 wrote:

Southwest claims they cannot discriminate when it comes to customer asking for pre-boarding but there has to be a way to police this.  It is getting completely ridiculous the number of able bodied folks in the B & C Boarding Groups abusing the system.  

I only fly SW and spend $1000's to get to A-List Preferred and now it really means nothing because of the blatant abuse of the pre-boarding situation.  No other airline allows this amount of pre-boarding.

SW please come up with something to fix this or reduce the requirements for A-List / Preferred as you have diminished the value of achieving.  There is now little to no benefit due to the obvious abuse of the pre-boarding policy.  I would love a direct response from SW on this issue.......

Regards,

A Loyal SW Customer

I'm A list and I understand your frustration. I see "quesrionable" people boarding all the time. Then I remember 2 things:

1) Not every disble person has a visible problem

2) Southwest has to follow federal laws on the topic. Failue to do so would result in lots of negative press and likely some large fines.

The comany's hands are pretty well tied.

dw0427
Explorer C

Something can be done...I dont' accept that SW hands are tied.  That's the easy way out.  The problem is getting worse and SW is the only airline that I know of that allows anyone who requests pre-board to do so.  

All in all it is not as beneficial to achieve A-List Preferred status anymore or for that matter buy a Business Select ticket.  

dfwskier
Aviator A

@dw0427 wrote:

Something can be done...I dont' accept that SW hands are tied.  That's the easy way out.  The problem is getting worse and SW is the only airline that I know of that allows anyone who requests pre-board to do so.  

All in all it is not as beneficial to achieve A-List Preferred status anymore or for that matter buy a Business Select ticket.  

Perhsps you can tell us what can be done..

spacecoastbill
Frequent Flyer B

What airline stops pre boarders?   Its just more prevelant on SWA because people want to abuse preboarding to avoid the costs for the upgraded boarding.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@spacecoastbill wrote:

What airline stops pre boarders?   Its just more prevelant on SWA because people want to abuse preboarding to avoid the costs for the upgraded boarding.

My response ro you is the same as it was to the other poster:

Perhaps you can tell us what can be done..

spacecoastbill
Frequent Flyer B

My response ro you is the same as it was to the other poster:

Perhaps you can tell us what can be done..

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The only thing you can do is stop the things that preboard scammers do:

Restrict the number of people accompanying a preboard.  Ive seen entire families allowed to board with them.  Even as A1 you wind up 20-25 people back.  

Enforce a no seat saving policy.  There is no reason that a preboarder needs to save several seats (or rows of seats).

This might not be a big deal in the back of the plane, but those scamming preboard are grabbing the bulkhead rows that people pay extra for the priority boarding to be able to get.

Do not allow pre boarders to save exit row seats.

The only other thing that would put a stop to it is the one tihng SWA does that others do not.  Assigned seating.  While it would put a quick stop to the prebpard scammers, there is no way this will happen anytime soon.  If ever.

spacecoastbill
Frequent Flyer B

Watch how many nut allergies will appear from the new AA preboarding to those with nut allergies.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@spacecoastbill wrote:

Do not allow pre boarders to save exit row seats.

This one specifically I have never seen be allowed to happen, they do enforce this one.

Agreed that the seat saving can be extreme though, and I don't know what the more reasonable limit would be for people in general - personally I think saving one adjacent seat should be fine no questions asked, but agree that holding whole rows open in the front of the plane isn't what is intended to happen. (And for whatever reason I don't see it happen as often as people on the list seem to, and/or I'm not trying for those seats and don't notice it.)

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

dauxier
Explorer B

I think most A-List and A-List Preferred members would be pleasently rewarded and see a major change in the amount of pre-boarders. If Southwest would just require that pre-boarders will gladly be seated on the plane first. But will have to wait until all others have gotten off before they are allowed to leave. That's easy enough. Now let's move on to the subject of more than one bag in the overhead compartment!!!

Amanda218
Explorer B

I think it’s a list and a list preferred admitted they were chumps and having preferred boarding on southwest is stupid the problem with solve itself and people could pre-board as needed