Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

South west airlines policy of not allowing the baggage to be given back after check in

Kannan
Explorer C

My daughter was caught in the spate of cancellations at Midway this Christmas.   We understand the situation.  Her flight was cancelled after she has checked in at the Midway airport as crew did not show up.  She went to the airport multiple times to retrieve her baggage.  She was told that the airlines policy is to send the bag to the final destination even if the baggage is physically at Midwest airport.  It does not make any sense to send the baggage when the person is standing right in front.  Can SW higherups reconsider the policy that adds waste of energy to transport the baggage with potential to retransfer back to Midwest.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: South west airlines policy of not allowing the baggage to be given back after check in

dfwskier
Aviator A

Part of the cause for the current meltdown is lack of staff.

If the airline uses the staff it does have   to spend time hunting  thru hundreds (thousands?) of bags to return to customers, then those employees will not be able to help those people who might be lucky enough to actually get on a flight.

Yeah, it's a pain.

Re: South west airlines policy of not allowing the baggage to be given back after check in

floridaguy
Aviator C

File a complaint for lost luggage.  The Southwest system is in serious need of overhaul.  I agree with you.  You are standing right there, yet the bag flies across the country.

3-10
Adventurer C

They got mad at me for jumping behind the counter and grabbing my bag before it crossed the event horizon of that black hole where luggage goes. 

I don’t regret doing it either. 

I feel horrible for folks stuck, I bet it is going to be 30+ days before the luggage situation is fixed. 

Yet here we are with Jordan still having a job even though he is an incompetent m0ron who should have been fired in the 26th for solely making this mess because as the guy in charge of IT for multiple years was only worried about his greedy stock options and bonuses through growth and not infrastructure. 

The board needs to be fired too for keeping him and promoting him. 

The entire management is incompetent. 

floridaguy
Aviator C

He will likely resign as his entire career is now tainted forever.

Sweetsikh
Explorer C

It's so weird a policy. What's the logic of keeping checked luggage of cancelled flights ? SW is adding to their problems by doing so and the innocent passengers who packed the most necessary stuff in their bags for the trip duration are deprived of the same ! SW should use their planes for just transporting checked bags even once a day to lessen the passengers sufferings.