Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Southwest in process of resuming normal operations after temporarily grounding fleet

jksobonya
Aviator A

FAA lifts temporary ground stop for Southwest Airlines

DENVER — The Federal Aviation Administration issued a nationwide ground stop Tuesday at the request of Southwest Airlines while the company resolved a reservation computer issue. The FAA lifted the ground stop just moments after it was issued.

The airline began experiencing system issues Monday, stating that it was "working quickly to resolve" them.

The airline said its third-party weather data provider experienced intermittent performance issues Monday evening, which prevented the transmission of weather information. That information is required to safely operate its aircraft, Southwest said.

On Tuesday, Denver International Airport confirmed the airline was still experiencing network connectivity issues and flight delays are likely.

Tuesday’s ground stop meant all Southwest flights in the U.S. were temporally grounded.

The order was lifted around 1:49 p.m.

It's not known if the airlines system is back online. 

Source: https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/faa-issues-nationwide-ground-stop-for-southwest-air... 

------------

Sounds like a fun 24 hours! Not! 😶

Hopefully things will get back to normal soon. 

--Jessica

15 REPLIES 15

Re: Southwest in process of resuming normal operations after temporarily grounding fleet

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

👍

--TheMiddleSeat

Re: Southwest in process of resuming normal operations after temporarily grounding fleet

dfwskier
Aviator A

+1

bec102896
Aviator A

So after the horrific outage in July 2016 all affected were given a 50% off a future flight code. Wonder if they will do the same this time or proactive vouchers. 

jksobonya
Aviator A

@bec102896 wrote:

So after the horrific outage in July 2016 all affected were given a 50% off a future flight code. Wonder if they will do the same this time or proactive vouchers. 

I'm waiting on an official statement from Southwest. The social media doomsayers insist SWA was hacked. I don't buy into these rumors unless / until the airline specifically says something about it - if they do.

--Jessica

Disgruntled
Explorer C

Well here is my story I understand things happen. But why does southwest wait to text me the flight is cancelled when I  am a all

Ready at the airport approaching my gate? Sitting on a tarmac in Philly still trying to get home to Pittsburgh 12 hours later with 0 help from SW on another airline. I have since found out they are the only major airline without an agreement to help each other when things like this go down. I was told I would get a refund and we will see ...I was given a voucher for a future flight which I appreciate but it isn't helping me today. I will say the poor girl Kelly in Milwaukee was fantastic and probably kept a riot from ensuing I'm not kidding people were there with their families going to Disney World and we're being told they would probably have 2 wait 2 days without a Disney refund. It's been a really bad day for SW perhaps if they communicated flight cancellation s sooner than 2 hours before takeoff knowing they were having issues it could have prevented a lot of this mess

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

We're so sorry for the inconvenience yesterday, @Disgruntled. We would never prefer to be impacted by a technology outage and regret that we weren't able to  mitigate the impact more for you and so many others. It is our sincere hope you'll be able to use the voucher to return for a much more favorable experience. 

Nicole
Community Manager

Afrikanqueen
Explorer C

I was on the way to the airport with my Goddaughters when we got notice that our flight has been canceled. Rebooked to tomorrow night which means I will miss the whole reason I was going to Denver. My daughter in laws birthday and wedding dress shopping for for their wedding in September. These are memories I will never get back. My heart is broken.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Afrikanqueen wrote:

I was on the way to the airport with my Goddaughters when we got notice that our flight has been canceled. Rebooked to tomorrow night which means I will miss the whole reason I was going to Denver. My daughter in laws birthday and wedding dress shopping for for their wedding in September. These are memories I will never get back. My heart is broken.

Sorry to hear that

Look on the booking page to see if anything has opened up. Do so frequently as people cancel all the time and then their spots become available. When that happens, the spots are not available for long as lots of other people are likely doing what I suggested. 

Also, look at Colorado Springs. Southwest flies there now, too.

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

@Afrikanqueen we're sincerely sorry for the inconvenience. As a Customer-to-Customer support forum, we are not equipped to assist you here, but I encourage you to Contact Customer Relations for assistance.

Nicole
Community Manager