Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Stranded Luggage

Rgos70
Explorer C

I may have to fly back to LA to physically get our luggage.

Original flight through Denver cancelled.

Rebooked by SW onto flight ATL-HOU-LAX-RNO. Wound up with over seven hour layover. That matters in a minute.

We have six checked bags with things kids should have put into carry ons, but didn’t think to (eg Kyra’s contacts, Gavin’s meds).

Got in to RNO at 2:30 or 3AM. Waited in an hour long line to give them intel in our bags. We have air tags in the bags.

Supposed to get our bags delivered today on a 4PM run.

Bags are still in LAX, Ross had been on the phone all day, four calls and seven flights have come from LAX - our bags have not moved.

13 REPLIES 13

Re: Stranded Luggage

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Bummer, it has been a mess of a week with the weather. If you want to submit your comments directly to Southwest use the contact us link at the bottom of this page and send a message. Hopefully you can acquire some things and keep track of costs for incidentals. 

--TheMiddleSeat

Jcoris
Explorer C

Can you tell us how to submit a claim for incidentals?  Also by the way if your baggage problem is at the Denver airport please know they are not taking phone calls. You are required to stand in a long line and talk to a staff member at a desk.  There is one person at the desk.  The wait in line is six hours.  And they don’t know what happened to your luggage or when you will get it. They will simply let you file a claim. 

floridaguy
Aviator C

If they can move the passengers, then why not the bags?

I have growing concerns that airlines are not handling baggage effectively.  In a prior post, a customer complained of the same type of thing.  I am a fan of having technology serve this issue.  You should know before you even take off that your bag is not on board and what the next steps would be.

There are limitations to liability for baggage and I would suggest reading Southwest's terms of service and follow their written guidelines for lost baggage.  If you don't have it, then you can declare it to be "lost".  

In addition, I would write to their new CEO in Dallas and start holding people accountable.

Jwthompson
Explorer B

I am convinced that those who defend southwests lack of transparency about the location of customers luggage work for the airline. No one in there right mind would justify or defend this egregious oversight. My business would be bankrupt if I had such practices. The obvious is that southwest has little loyalty to its customers and deplorable customer service. While you listen for hours to their spill about transparency about their rates as you wait for someone to answer your call you will see the irony . How bout transparency with our luggage. 

floridaguy
Aviator C

It is beyond time for Southwest to clear this up.  The technology exists and it needs to be put to use.  Every single piece of luggage needs to be accounted for from the moment it is taken into their possession until it lands on the baggage claim.

When the final piece of luggage is on the plane, then the departure checklist is complete.  If that rule was followed, you would not have any of these issues blowing around.

The alternative is to issue a LUV voucher for $500 for each piece of luggage that does not accompany the passenger on the flight.  That alternative would cause Southwest to get on the stick and do it right.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

The transparency is that you know Southwest does not offer baggage tracking like some other airlines do. It's up to you, the consumer, to determine what airline to choose based on the information available. 

No, I do not work for Southwest and I have no problem with their baggage handling. If you actually look at facts relatively few bags are mishandled amongst all airlines and Southwest does a very good job, better than United, American, Delta, and JetBlue. It's a good thing some of those other airlines offer better bag tracking, they need it more than Southwest

Facts are important, please read the statistics:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/lost-baggage-report-2022/

--TheMiddleSeat

floridaguy
Aviator C

The data shows that Southwest is right in the middle of the data, not the worst and certainly not the best.

If Southwest's stakeholders are comfortable with being average, that's their choice.  I would DEMAND exceptional baggage handling which would make a difference.

No flight should depart until the bags that accompanied the passengers are on board.  Problem solved.

Let the process be improved.  Stop celebrating mediocracy.  

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@floridaguy lol, go back to statistics class

--TheMiddleSeat

floridaguy
Aviator C

No need.  I graduated with a 3.93 GPA and have completed two Masters' programs.

However, I'd be happy to provide remedial training where there is interest.