Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

TSA Pre-Check and EB Question

cdewolf
Explorer C

Hi,

First of all let me apologize if these 3 questions were asked recently. I did not see them in the forum : 

1 - How can I get my Southwest Account name to match what I have just submitted to TSA Pre-Check and will it take affect in time for a flight on 12/26/18? 

2 - How do I get my TSA KTN added to my Southwest Account and will it take affect in time for a flight 12/26/18? 

3 - Early Bird options. Traveling 12/26/18. We did not pay for EB at ticket purchase. For the best que placement should I ........ a) proceed with purchasing EB today? or b) just board with the family's after A since we are traveling with a 5yo child?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: TSA Pre-Check and EB Question

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

Hello!

For question 1, I am not certain, but I think you would have to call SW to see if they could adjust the name on your ticket.  Perhaps others here can confirm.  In the future, when you book your ticket, you can confirm how the name is presented and edit as needed while booking online.  

For question 2, you can either call SW now and have them add it to the reservation, or the check in agents at the airport can add it for you day of travel.  You can add your KTN permenantly in you SW Account > My Preferences > Personal > Edit.

For question 3, there is no way to get a good answer because EB fully depends on the number of A Listers and Early Birds who will be on the plane.  It is not unheard of these days for EBs to back into the B group, and it is impossible to know how that will play out each flight.  It sounds like you are traveling with a child under the age of seven, so you can board with family boarding.  If you want to do EB, you would want to purchase for everyone traveling with you.  For me, I would not add that extra expense given the uncertainty.  

Happy travels!

-A List, Companion Pass holder

Passenger1C
Aviator C

@cdewolf the answers to your questions can be found by clicking on the links below.

Account update for User Name:

https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/faqs.html?topic=my_account

TSA FAQ:

https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/airport-experience/tsaprecheck.html

For EB: Families can board after group A but before group B. 

https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/faqs.html?topic=boarding_the_plane

Have a great trip and Happy Holidays. 

SWA Passenger, Community Champion

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@cdewolf wrote: and @Passenger1C and @elijahbrantley previously responded:

Hi,

First of all let me apologize if these 3 questions were asked recently. I did not see them in the forum : 

1 - How can I get my Southwest Account name to match what I have just submitted to TSA Pre-Check and will it take affect in time for a flight on 12/26/18? 

To clarify on this one, changing your name on the account to match is a good idea, but won't retroactively change on tickets already purchased. If the two names aren't the same then you may struggle to have PreCheck on this particular flight. If you use Twitter you may want to reach out to @SouthwestAir to initiate a discussion about sycnchronizing, or call. Don't send your confirmation number or name until they ask for a direct message.

Do you know that the two names are different in some way?

2 - How do I get my TSA KTN added to my Southwest Account and will it take affect in time for a flight 12/26/18? 

You'll have to calll, Twitter, or have it added at the ticket counter on your day of flight to add it retroactively to already purchased tickets. The name also has to match for this to work. 

3 - Early Bird options. Traveling 12/26/18. We did not pay for EB at ticket purchase. For the best que placement should I ........ a) proceed with purchasing EB today? or b) just board with the family's after A since we are traveling with a 5yo child?

As the others mentioned, the EBCI may or may not improve you over the family boarding. How many family members are traveling? Most likely family boarding would be fine, equivalent to position "A-61."

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.