Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

TSA Pre-Check

Hicksvc13
Explorer C

I just checked in for SW 1316 on 2/17 - - my Southwest mobi-pass did not show TSA Pre. I checked My Account settings and found that my Known Traveler Number (KTN) is on my profile.. If I check in at the counter, will I be issued a boarding pass with the TSA Pre approval?

10 REPLIES 10

Re: TSA Pre-Check

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Unfortunately, there are known issues with Southwest's systems populating the KTN from a profile to a reservation. Your best bet is to call and see if they can add it manually, then reprint your boarding pass. But call times are very long at the moment dealing with cancellations due to the west coast weather. You can try at the airport tomorrow as you've suggested -- you'll need to use the full service counter (not express bag drop). Hope this helps -- Good luck!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

TSA Pre is never guaranteed, but but my wife and I have successfully used the approach to re-print at the counter in the past to have the KTN added, and earn PreCheck on a boarding pass.

I would bring the TSA card with you and not rely on looking it up from your profile.

You may also be able to call SWA tonight or in the morning (use your A-list phone number if you are A-list) and have the KTN added to the reservation in advance and then download again or reprint tomorrow.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

While PreCheck is not guaranteed, if you've paid the $85 fee you should be getting it 95% of the time (vs opting in via a carrier). If not, it's likely a systems issue (assuming the ticket name matches the KTN name exactly).

Also, note that there is no such thing as TSA PreCheck card. Global Entry does offer a card that shows the passenger's KTN, which provides PreCheck, but there are no cards for just PreCheck. It is probably still a good idea to have your KTN written down before trying to have it added at the counter.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Thanks for clarifying @chgoflyer - I didn't realize that passengers who apply for TSA Pre but not through Global Entry wouldn't also have an equivalent ID card, I'll be sure to specify Global Entry Card in the future in any responses.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

KaylaR
Employee
Employee
Solution

Hi @Hicksvc13:

Not all boarding passes have the TSA PreCheck indicator on them. There are times when Customers who have Known Traveler Numbers will not receive TSA PreCheck, even when the KTN is in the reservation. That said, so long as the information in your account matches exactly the name associated with your KTN the system should work as designed. While you could try having an Agent print a boarding pass at the airport, it still would not guarantee you receive TSA PreCheck.

-KaylaR

funtravelbug
Explorer C

That's exactly what was happening to me.  My employer's system will always change my last name, so I have to call SW each time so they can fix it. Otherwise the name will not match TSA's info and my Pre Check won't show up. Once I learned that, it works everytime.

robbhicks
Explorer C

The previous answers are correct. But after verifying your KTN and name are stored correctly, remember what a TSA agent told me -- an eligible Pre-Check individual is NEVER guaranteed to get TSA Pre-Check approval on any particular flight.

It's not under the control of the airline. They simply supply your name and KTN to the TSA, which is why you want to ensure that information is correct.

Then the TSA uses some funky, Google-like algorithm that takes into account how long your trip is, how often you fly, how often you fly to that particular  destination, whatever intel they have about national air travel terrorism risk for your day of travel. After running all that through a computer, and possibly flipping a coin or  maybe rolling a die for good luck, they decide whether or not to approve your precheck.

Perhaps that explains things like why I won't get pre-check on an outbound flight, but then on the return flight 36 hours later I do?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@robbhicks wrote:

The previous answers are correct. But after verifying your KTN and name are stored correctly, remember what a TSA agent told me -- an eligible Pre-Check individual is NEVER guaranteed to get TSA Pre-Check approval on any particular flight.

Yes, that's is the standard line, PreCheck isn't guaranteed, but I think that's mostly a disclaimer to protect themselves when the system glitches or otherwise screws up. I'm not a big believer in the existence of a funky algorithm and all the other jazz, it's mostly just a check of a name and then have a nice day, assuming the system is working properly that day. Thankfully I've had very good luck, can't think of a single flight that I didn't get Pre over the last few years. 

--TheMiddleSeat

DaveR
Explorer C

My boarding pass does not show the TAS PreCheck, yet my profile shows my KTN.  And I have been on hold for Customer Service for over 30 minutes.

How do I get my boarding pass fixed?