Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

TSA Pre-Check

agoodman
Explorer C

My husband and I both received Know Traveler Numbers, and we added them to our Southwest profiles more than 30 days in advance of our travel.  However, the TSA Pre-Check is not appearing on our boarding pass.  Why?

41 REPLIES 41

Re: TSA Pre-Check

kittycoady
Explorer C

I also have a Known Traveler Number and pre check was not added to my boarding pass.  Any answer yet?

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager
Solution

Hi @agoodman,

Here are a couple steps to follow when booking a reservation to ensure that you get TSA PreCheck. 

1) Verify that you are logged into your Rapid Rewards Account before you start booking your flight

2) Verify that your KTN has been entered and saved in your Rapid Rewards Account

If you forget to follow these steps, you can enter your KTN into your reservation after booking by clicking here

paule4ou
Explorer B

I have followed those step numerous times and still have flights that the TSA pre-check does not show up. Frustrating. I fly about 60 trips a year on SW. I've learned that the only safe bet is to make your reservation online, then call in to make sure the KTN is added. What a PITA.

vincentstjohn
Explorer B

Agree. I've had this problem several times as well. 

If you call SWA customer service, I've had them text me updated mobile boarding passes with Pre-Check assignment while in the car on the way to the airport. 

Not ideal, but a helpful resolution. 

tacitus11
Explorer C

Even calling in is not safe.  My wife called them on Saturday to add her middle name and KTN and it still did not show up on her boarding pass when she pre-checked in today!!!!!!!!!!

TJM_HOU-TEX
Explorer C

Same with me. I have had a KTN for 3 years, always had TSA Pre on my tickets until the last 3 weeks. Since then 4 out of 6 legs on SWA have not had TSA Pre. I have not changed, added , deleted or modified my profile. All the information that was on my profile is still on my profile and still correct. On one flight there was a TSA Pre printed on the boarding pass but it was not accepted by TSA. I asked why, and the agent said "you are not the first SWA passenger that has had this problem today". My problems coincide with the last SWA update to their ticketing program. Having been around software testing and releases - there is a bug and SWA does not seem to be interested in finding and fixing it as long as they can point the finger at TSA.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Sadly, the TSA Pre not scanning at TSA is a known issue, related to the conversion to the new booking system. 😞

One hopes Southwest will get this fixed soon, but with the multitude of issues they are trying to resolve right now, one is not overly optimistic.

dgreenbaum
Explorer C

I've had this problem too multiple times.  It's the only airlines I have the problem with.  I get my TSA Pre-Check 0% of the time.  The last time an agent thought it was funny that I didn't understand this is a problem with the TSA.  Over Twitter the TSA said this is not their issue.  

Can someone change this thread to be not-solved.  It's horribly misleading to say the problem is solved.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@dgreenbaum wrote:

I've had this problem too multiple times.  It's the only airlines I have the problem with.  I get my TSA Pre-Check 0% of the time.  The last time an agent thought it was funny that I didn't understand this is a problem with the TSA.  Over Twitter the TSA said this is not their issue.  

Can someone change this thread to be not-solved.  It's horribly misleading to say the problem is solved.

First, make sure that your name on your Southwest profile matches exactly the name on your KTN. This includes any middle name or middle initial.

If your name does match exactly it may be another issue. Unfortunately, there is a known issue with KTNs populating from a customer's profile to their actual reservations. The issue is sporadic, and seems to affect only some customers. The best advice is to always check every itinerary to make sure that the KTN has been applied prior to travel. If not, it can be added by the customer or by calling Southwest.