Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Temporary id

Stephanieb41
Explorer C

I'm having to replace a lost ID. If it's not mailed to me in time before I fly will my temporary one work?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Temporary id

bec102896
Aviator A

While I'm not too sure if the temporary one would work you could always use a passport if you have one or at least have it should they decide not to accept the temporary ID but I don't see why the temporary one wouldn't work since it's still an ID and is accepted elsewhere. 

Blake 

Passenger1C
Aviator C
Solution

@Stephanieb41 below is what is found on the TSA’s website or you can visit them at 

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/identification 

It sounds like there are other ways they can look up your identity if you have any issues supplying what’s called out from TSA. 

Adult passengers 18 and over must show valid identification at the airport checkpoint in order to travel.

• Driver's licenses or other state photo identity cards issued by Department of Motor Vehicles (or equivalent)
  • U.S. passport
  • U.S. passport card
  • DHS trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
  • U.S. Department of Defense ID, including IDs issued to dependents
  • Permanent resident card
  • Border crossing card
  • DHS-designated enhanced driver's license
  • Federally recognized, tribal-issued photo ID
  • HSPD-12 PIV card
  • Foreign government-issued passport
  • Canadian provincial driver's license or Indian and Northern Affairs Canada card
  • Transportation worker identification credential
  • U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Employment Authorization Card (I-766)
  • U.S. Merchant Mariner Credential

Best of luck your I.D. comes in time. 

SWA Passenger, Community Champion

CareforNOLA
Frequent Flyer A

@Stephanieb41, my experience is that the temporary will work but I had to agree to a more complete screening— full patdown and bag inspection.  I had to allow more time but it didn’t prevent me from boarding the plane.    Safe and fun travels.