Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Ticket Cost Related To Boarding Assignment

SGS1965
Explorer C

I've always thought that getting a boarding assignment (e.g. A06 vs C46) was determined by status (A-lister vs casual traveler) and then by how quickly you checked in for your flight.  My flight is today departing at 6:05 pm.  Yesterday, at exactly 6:05 pm, I checked in, since I could only do it 24 hours prior to my flight.  In full disclosure, my flight from Vegas to Austin was cheap, which is great; however, when I checked in I was assigned a C02 boarding pass.  

Could that be because there are literally that many A-listers and A-List Preferred travelers that the only available "casual traveler" seat assignment didn't start until the "C" class?  Or, could it have been because my ticket was so inexpensive that it automatically kicked me to a "C" class boarding assignment?  Just curious.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Ticket Cost Related To Boarding Assignment

5280Av8r
Frequent Flyer C
Solution

Not just A list preferred, but there are people who pay for early bird checkin. The boarding position is not based on the cost of the fare unless it's business select, but the other two have no effect from my understanding. There's also just so many people checking in at once on top of the A listers and early birds, so sometimes our boarding positions end up in the early C group because of that.

-Andrew

DEN based | Southwest Passenger | Aviation Enthusiast

DEN (CLT) Based | Aviation Enthusiast | Full of Passion for Southwest

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

@SGS1965 That should still be okay enough to not be in a middle seat though you won't be at the front of the plane. If you do happen to find nothing but middle seats, look for people who are a couple. They will probably offer to switch. Just make sure that also look like they like each other. My wife and I would let you have the middle.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@SGS1965 wrote:

Or, could it have been because my ticket was so inexpensive that it automatically kicked me to a "C" class boarding assignment?  Just curious.

This implies there could be a gap between the "expensive" tickets that get a B group and the "cheap" tickets that are automatically assigned to C.  That's definitely not the case.

Also, in your initial question you happened to mention A06.  I'll point out that A1-15 can only be obtained by either buying a Business Select ticket or purchasing an upgraded boarding position at the gate.  There can be (and often is) a gap between the Business Select group and A16 where all other flyers begin their boarding assignments.  That's the only gap built into assigning boarding positions.

As more travelers get out and things return to "normal", a low C boarding position to/from a popular tourist destination like Las Vegas is going be normal when not purchasing EBCI.  In the past there have been a number of people complaining about getting C positions even when purchasing EBCI so even that is certainly possible.

You could take some of that money you saved by getting a great fare and purchase the upgraded boarding position at the gate if you don't like the boarding position you obtained 24 hours prior.  I've done that a few times and been quite happy with the "upgrade".

--TheMiddleSeat

gsking
Aviator C

Your experience and thought process makes sense given my recent flights.  Many are quite full,  and many of the A1 through A 15 spots are taken. 

I suspect between A listers and EBCI, casual travelers are getting B and C boarding. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

If you received a C position at exactly t-24, it's most likely that your flight is a continuing leg of another connecting flight or flights. Those who have booked the connecting flight can check in t-24 for their originating flight's departure, which is earlier than when you can check in. This gives them a better position for the connecting flight than is possible for you to receive.