Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Travel Funds

hallefiedler13
Explorer C

Hi! So I received a credit voucher from Southwest from a past cancelled flight last year, and I'm trying to use it for another flight. I'm currently trying to purchase the plane tickets for this new flight, and it should cover almost all of the price except for an extra $10 looking at my Travel Funds. However, for some reason my total funds are not used for the flight; only about half is used. It states that this represents my "remaining fund balance."  Where did the other half of my funds from Southwest go? And is there anyway I can use my entire funds on this flight?

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Travel Funds

dfwskier
Aviator A

That would seem to mean one of two things

1) You misunderstand how much Southwest voucher was valued at .or.

2) The system thinks you already used part of it.

Do you have any communication that would verify the value of the voucher - from when the voucher was issued?

edit add: we could be dealing with two entirely different animals here - you used terms for both in your post.

a travel fund is something you get from the airline when you change to a  flight that costs less or when you cancel a flight. It's a return of your own money in the form of a credit.

a voucher is something the airline gives you for  compensation that something went wrong - it's a good will offering. .

Which of the two are you dealing with?

hallefiedler13
Explorer C

Gotcha! But I believe it had to do with me adding another person onto that new flight. It looks to me now that the [travel fund] will only pay for my flight since the original flight before it was cancelled was only for my flight in the first place. Could this be the reason?

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

@hallefiedler13 wrote:

Gotcha! But I believe it had to do with me adding another person onto that new flight. It looks to me now that the [travel fund] will only pay for my flight since the original flight before it was cancelled was only for my flight in the first place. Could this be the reason?

Yes. Travel Funds can only be used by the passenger(s) named on the original ticket. If you are using your travel funds to purchase a new ticket for you and someone else, your Travel Funds will only cover your portion of the new booking. (And the leftover funds amount will be held under the original conformation number for future use.)

bec102896
Aviator A

With this canceled flight did you ever reprice (change reservation) to get a credit because the price went down? If so each time you reprice it generates a new credit so when you cancel it creates another credit under the same confirmation number and you can only use 2 credits plus a credit card or 3 credits if it covers the whole reservation. 

When you apply the travel fund does it show like several credits were applied and show that you have so much remaining?

Another thought was this a LUV voucher instead of travel funds? If it is a LUV voucher those don't cover taxes and that's why it won't fully apply. 

-Blake

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Was the cancelled flight for 2 passengers? In that case, each passenger has their own Travel Fund, which would be about half each of the total amount.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@chgoflyer wrote:

Was the cancelled flight for 2 passengers? In that case, each passenger has their own Travel Fund, which would be about half each of the total amount.

good guess