Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Travel to Jamaica with expired Passport

Alli20
Explorer C

Has anyone travel on SW with an expired passport to Jamaica? Please tell me what you did or needed! Will renew once I get to Jamaica.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Travel to Jamaica with expired Passport

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

One cannot travel internationally with an expired passport. 

--TheMiddleSeat

floridaguy
Aviator C

When I went in 2019, I found the entire process to be more about "did you bring American dollars" rather than whether you had a passport, or not.

So, I would not recommend trying to travel without it, but coming back to the US will be interesting without a current passport.

PettyIntrigues
Adventurer A

You’re seeking advice on traveling internationally without a valid passport? Pack extra underwear and maybe some snack bars on the off-chance they even let you get on a plane down there. You’re gonna get detained somewhere along the line and maybe not briefly.

Alli20
Explorer C

Know ppl who has travelled to Jamaica an expired passport before I just wanted to know if South west will allow u to.. because we he gets to Jamaica his country of birth he will renew the passport there because that’s where he is from!

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

You may want to ask that person how they did it as I don't think any US airline would allow international travel without a valid, unexpired passport.

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

You may want to ask that person how they did it as I don't think any US airline would allow international travel without a valid, unexpired passport.

--TheMiddleSeat

The US authorities will not be impressed if this person is here with an expired passport either.

It does look like there is an online renewal - good luck!

https://www.pica.gov.jm/passport/renew

Otherwise maybe check in at the nearest embassy. I can see the case where the traveler doesn't need a passport to go back to Jamaica as a resident there (it would sure be easier to have one, but let's say it can be done the hard way) but if there is some other way to prove identity on this end to board the aircraft I don't know.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.