Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Traveling Process for Young Traveler

bifriends
Explorer C

Hello! 

I've been booked a flight as a young traveler (17) with another adult. I have a few questions and want to know a bit more about the process and required documents that I may need to travel smoothly!

- Will I have to check in with the adult that is booked with me or can I check in separately?

- What documents will I need to get through the entire check-in, security and boarding process? This includes TSA.

- If I do need a form of ID, will a school ID or a birth certificate suffice?

- What is the process like for traveling as a young traveler on Southwest Airlines? I want to get an idea and be ready for anything that may happen.

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Traveling Process for Young Traveler

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

At 17 you won't need an ID to get through security however it never hurts to have a school ID just in case. 

With check in you will check in just like any other passenger (do it at exactly 24 hours prior to your flight to get the best boarding position) southwest is open seating no assigned seats so the earlier you check in the better seat selection you should have. 

You can check in at the airport on your own so no need to have an adult with you. 

The process for traveling at 17 is the same as traveling at age 50 with the exception of you don't need an ID 

If you have any other question don't hesitate to ask. 

-Blake

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Since there's two points of "check-in" it may help to clarify that 24 hours prior to departure you check-in to get a boarding pass.  When you do this check-in everyone on the reservation is assigned a boarding pass so if you and the adult are on the same reservation only one of you needs to complete the process 24 hours prior to departure.  Whoever can do the process first should do it.  Then, when you arrive at the airport you check-in again, but really it's just dropping baggage if you are checking bags.  This can be done by either person individually or both of you at the same time.  If you are not checking bags then you both just go to the gate individually or together.

As @bec102896 said, shout if you have more questions.

--TheMiddleSeat

bifriends
Explorer C

Thank you! I only have a few more questions if you could answer them:

• Once I check in (I assume online), will I have to go through any additional forms of identification to get on the plane? 
  • When my ticket was booked, there was no additional information/requirements for young traveler information (despite me putting my correct birthdate showing that I am under the age of 18). Will there be an issue or any additional processes that I will need to go through when I try to check in at the airport?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

No identification is required for anyone under age 18. I believe @bec102896 suggested earlier that taking a school ID could be a good idea just in case TSA questions your age. You should just be able to say your age and move on.

--TheMiddleSeat

bec102896
Aviator A

When you check in at the airport ticket counter you can just go to the self service kiosk if you want and type in the confirmation number to check bags and get a boarding pass you could also go to the full service counter if that would more comfortable. you can use your phone as your boarding pass and if your not checking bags you can skip the counter or check in kiosk altogether and head straight for security and your gate. 

-Blake

dfwskier
Aviator A

At 17, you'll need a school ID or an ID card, and it doesn't matter, it's all the same information anyway. The TSA will not pick on you because you are a minor. I know this from personal experience; when I was that age, I flew with my uncle on vacation. One of the best hotels we had already booked, so all that was left to do was check-in at the airport, and it was done. In general, it does not matter how old you are, for you will go through the same procedure as for adults.

???????

You used Southwest to fly to Australia?????

Also TSA requires ID for those that are 18 or more

It is advisable that those that are under 18 that look like they may be 18+ carry ID to prove their age. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

At 17, you'll need a school ID or an ID card, and it doesn't matter, it's all the same information anyway. The TSA will not pick on you because you are a minor. I know this from personal experience; when I was that age, I flew with my uncle on vacation. One of the best hotels we had already booked, so all that was left to do was check-in at the airport, and it was done. In general, it does not matter how old you are, for you will go through the same procedure as for adults.

???????

You used Southwest to fly to Australia?????

Also TSA requires ID for those that are 18 or more

It is advisable that those that are under 18 that look like they may be 18+ carry ID to prove their age. 

Who were you quoting? Australia?

Was this post moderated out of existence?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@chgoflyer Yes, the post that was quoted was spam. Mods removed it and edited the quoted text.

--TheMiddleSeat

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

@chgoflyer Yes, the post that was quoted was spam. Mods removed it and edited the quoted text.

--TheMiddleSeat

Ah... gotcha, thanks. 😉