Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Traveling with 2 small children

Scarlete09
Explorer C

I will be traveling in 3 weeks with my two babies. One is 2 years old and the other one is 5 months old. I have two strollers and I want to know if I’m able to take both with me and check them in? I also have two car seats I need to take. Am I allowed to take both as well? I’ve only traveled with one baby so far. I don’t know if it’s different with two. It will also be 3 adults traveling if that makes a difference? 

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Traveling with 2 small children

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

@Scarlete09 wrote:

I will be traveling in 3 weeks with my two babies. One is 2 years old and the other one is 5 months old. I have two strollers and I want to know if I’m able to take both with me and check them in? I also have two car seats I need to take. Am I allowed to take both as well? I’ve only traveled with one baby so far. I don’t know if it’s different with two. It will also be 3 adults traveling if that makes a difference? 

Each baby has their own allowance for baby gear so no worries about strollers and car seats, you can bring items for each kid.

Family boarding has clarified their policy:

Southwest offers Family Boarding, which occurs after the “A” group has boarded and before the “B” group begins boarding.

• Up to two adults traveling with a child six years old or younger may board during Family Boarding.
  • If the child and adults are all holding “A” boarding passes, they should board in their assigned boarding position rather than waiting for Family Boarding

My interpretation here is that up to four adults can board with two kids.

Remember to get a gate check tag before boarding starts if you plan to use the strollers through the airport and drop the strollers at the jetbridge.

I believe diaper bags are also not included in the two carry-on item limit but that one I couldn't find a good citation for. But it may be fine with three adults traveling if each person isn't already carrying two items.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

floridaguy
Aviator C

You are correct that up to two adults may board with a child under seven.  You start by identifying a child under seven, then identify the adults.

Whether the bag that you carry on has diapers, newspapers, clothes or air, it counts as a carry on.  

ZevSupport
Frequent Flyer A

Safe travels and good luck with the kiddos!

Community Champion | PHL based | ex-Companion Pass Holder | Southwest Passenger

floridaguy
Aviator C
What is the carryon policy at Southwest?

TSA regulations limit carryons to one bag and one small, personal item. If you're traveling with a pet, carriers are counted as either your personal item or carryon.

What carryon or personal items are not counted against the TSA limit?
  • A child restraint system.
  • Assistive/mobility devices for individuals with a disability. There is no limit to the number of assistive/mobility devices you can bring onboard.
  • Outer garments or other wearable articles of clothing.
  • Food in disposable packaging.
  • Walking canes or umbrellas.

https://www.southwest.com/help/baggage/carryon-baggage

tappingmom1
Frequent Flyer B

Diaper bags used to be allowed as an additional free item, but has quietly gone away on SWA and several other airlines...so I understand the confusion.

These airlines no longer allow diaper bags as a free allowance:

Alaska Airlines

Delta Airlines

Hawaiian Airlines

Southwest Airlines

These airlines do allow diaper bags as a free allowance:

American Airlines

Frontier Airlines

Jet Blue

Spirit Airlines (surprise, surprise)

United Airlines

You're fortunate to have three other adults to assist you.  Do your best to be prepared for the unexpected (once, I needed two complete infant outfit changes during a simple 3-hour flight).  Wishing you a stress-free flight with your two small kiddos!!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@tappingmom1 wrote:

Diaper bags used to be allowed as an additional free item, but has quietly gone away on SWA and several other airlines...so I understand the confusion.

These airlines no longer allow diaper bags as a free allowance:

Alaska Airlines

Delta Airlines

Hawaiian Airlines

Southwest Airlines

These airlines do allow diaper bags as a free allowance:

American Airlines

Frontier Airlines

Jet Blue

Spirit Airlines (surprise, surprise)

United Airlines

You're fortunate to have three other adults to assist you.  Do your best to be prepared for the unexpected (once, I need two complete infant outfit changes during a simple 3-hour flight).  Wishing you a stress-free flight with your two small kiddos!!

This is disappointing! I did find where breast milk is allowed as a free carry on and which would include a diaper bag carrying the breast milk.

https://www.southwest.com/help/flying-with-children/flying-with-infants

We welcome nursing Customers who wish to breastfeed onboard or within our facilities.

Baggage containing a breast pump and/or breast milk may be brought onboard in addition to the standard carryon limit of one bag plus one small, personal item. You might be asked the nature of the additional carryon bag(s) throughout travel. Keep in mind that we don’t have electrical outlets onboard for personal use.

If you have questions or concerns about transporting liquid formula through a security checkpoint, explore the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) security screening procedures on the TSA website.

Also remember if the kid does have their own ticket, then they get their own two items but that wouldn't apply to a lap child.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.