Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Traveling with a wedding dress?

ahossler
Explorer C

My girls and I are flying to PA for my wedding and I'm traveling with my wedding dress.  The store I bought my dress from said that some carriers are charging you for a seat so that you can store your wedding dress.  I'm just wondering if this is the case for Southwest?  My dress is small and can be stored easily in the overhead bins.  Any help would be great!! 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Traveling with a wedding dress?

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

I've certainly seen them go into the overhead on other Southwest flights, although I'm not sure if that was coming or going, if that matters. If that's okay with you to go in the overhead, then it should be okay with Southwest. Especially if you can lay it on top of the other stuff in the bin, then it doesn't even take up extra space.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

franktravel
Aviator B

Yes.  You are allowed two carry on's. One bag and one smaller personal-type item.   One goes in the over head and the other goes under the seat in front of you. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

While in general terms, the overhead should be ok, be warned if you're on a full flight there may be lots of folks pretty upset if you're taking up more than your share of bin space. I could see some irritated flyer trying to cram their suitcase on top of your dress or squishing your dress between two suitcases. Remember, not everyone will be super nice and caring about your dress. If you can place it nicely into a suitcase (either carry-on or checked) that would be my suggestion. Don't just assume that because the dress will lay in the overhead that you won't have any problems.