Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

USA Today: Southwest Airlines seat-savers drive some passengers crazy

markraymond
Explorer C

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/flights/todayinthesky/2017/12/20/seat-taken-southwest-airlines...

It's enough of a problem to warrant a national news story.

Southwest needs to create an option for those who want to pay for reserved seat assignments.  Saving seats should, at the very least, be discouraged, if not banned.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: USA Today: Southwest Airlines seat-savers drive some passengers crazy

tpegan
Explorer A

A lot of seat savers will tell you that the person in that seat is in the lavatory.  You can look back and forth and see no lavatory lights on and then this person enters the plane 5 minutes later.  So these people are not only inconsiderate, i.e. put their interests above others,  but often times untruthfull. 

rich1954
Adventurer A

I personally see no problem with someone saving 1 seat for a loved one, but only 1.

Scooter30
Explorer B

But it is open seating so you cannot save a seat.  Think of others please, instead of just yourself.  The person wanting that saved seat may have paid for the opportunity to sit in the seat of gheir choice.  You are denying someone from a service they have paid for and you have not.  Additionally, by saving seats you are creating an atmosphere of hostility amongst the passengers.  When you shop at the grocery store do you stand in line with no groceries and ‘save’ the checkout register for the other person you are with?  Inconsiderate of others to save seats when there are limited options.

Noah6671
Explorer C

I have mixed feelings about seat saving. Recently, my wife and young son and I were booked on a flight. When we checked in, I asked for a wheelchair for my wife, as she has cancer and walking is taxing for her. As a result, she got first boarding. But only one other person was allowed to accompany her. I sent my young son with her rather than him waiting in line by himself. They savedd a seat for me. When I got to them, they told me they got rude remarks from two men and one woman about seat saving. We did not ask to be separated before boarding, but were forced to do so. Do not be rude or think bad of the seat saver without knowing the reason.