Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Unable to get current version of Southwest App to load on ipad

lynnmboyd
Explorer C

I tried to use the Southwest App on my IPad (current OS 10.3.4) and I get an error: "We've retired this version to the hanger.  Please update your app by visiting the App Store".   If I pick Update Now, I get a message, "do you want to download the last compatible version?  This version of Southwest Airlines is not compatible with this device."  I pick Download, and it downloads a version, which is the same version that I get the retired version message. 

And, I've also deleted the app, then completly shut down and search for Southwest Airlines, Ipad only version, install, and get the same errors.

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Unable to get current version of Southwest App to load on ipad

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

I believe if you update your IOS version your problem will be fixed. 

Over time apps stop supporting old IOS and Android versions as it is expensive to cover every device/version. 

My IPad mini is on IOS version 12.4.1 so 10.3.4 is very old. 

lynnmboyd
Explorer C

Per Apple my iPad has the latest IOS - there are no further updates available.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

If you're unable to update an older device to a more current operating system, you can always use the web browser to visit the mobile version of the Southwest Airlines website.

Atxfler
Explorer C

I have the same issues as noted above.  The app is required to access TV and movies while in flight.  Looking for a solution?

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Atxfler wrote:

I have the same issues as noted above.  The app is required to access TV and movies while in flight.  Looking for a solution?

are you running IOS 11.0 or better? That is the requirement.

gmershon
Explorer C

This is not true. 

Southwest forces you to have the the latest Version of their app to use their in-flight entertainment. Their app only supports latest iPad and iPhone devices so all the millions of older Apple products will continue to have NO ability to use the Southwest apps or customer services that requires their app to be installed. 

gmershon
Explorer C

This response is incorrect. 

Apple limits older iPads (iPhones as well) to only upgrade to certain levels of IOS versions. These devices are unable to upgrade to latest IOS versions. 

While other airlines (and just about every other company) provide an app solution for their customers to continue to use older devices to access services, Southwest appears to have a policy that their customers must buy new devices to use their service. 

This would be like Southwest customers not flying on their planes if they are not the newest only models. 

Southwest needs to fix this ASAP. 

jksobonya
Aviator A

IOS 11 was released in 2017. To be on an even older release means that your device was made in 2016 or even earlier. It's now 2020, so your device is approaching 4+ years old at a minimum. Update your tech 🙂 

--Jessica 

gmershon
Explorer C

THIS IS NOT A SOLUTION AND NEEDS TO BE DELETED. 

SOUTHWEST NEEDS TO FIX THIS.