Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Upgrade boarding questions

Sexysun106
Explorer C

Hello every one so I paid $50 to upgrade my flight and here i am thinking its the flight to my destination and departure now u telling me they are charging $50 each flight I hot email that has my whole itinerary thats says I upgrade but now they want charge me another $50 to go from B position to A thats not right anyway to get money I guess.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Upgrade boarding questions

dfwskier
Aviator A

Your post is not entirely clear.

Are you saying you have a trip from points A to C, but have to stop at point   B to change planes?

Sexysun106
Explorer C

Sorry I wasn't clear i was saying I paid $50 to upgrade from B boarding to A boarding on the flight to Orlando and now the flight back I thought I still be A boarding now I am B I thought the $50 covers both flights I don't understand now they want another $50 to upgrade boarding when it is $25 and $25 to upgrade both flights I am just confused. Lol

dfwskier
Aviator A

You can only buy upgraded boarding on the day of your flight, so it is not possible to buy it for your return home until the 24 hours prior to   that flight. That would get you a boarding position between A1 and A15.

The   cost of upgraded boarding runs from $30 to $60 depending on the flight.

Could you be talking about Early Bird instead?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Upgraded boarding to the A1-15 positions is charged per flight segment and can only be purchased within 24 hours of departure. It sounds like you purchased that for your outbound flight and expected it to cover the outbound and return flights. That is not correct. 

On a flight with a connection you also need to be aware the upgraded boarding is charged per flight segment so a trip with one layover will be two upgraded boarding purchases. 

--TheMiddleSeat

floridaguy
Aviator C

You'd be better off making a $50 contribution to a charity, at least you'd get the benefit of a tax deduction.

All of this upgrade and early bird check in goes right to the Southwest bottom line and adds virtually NOTHING to the experience.

Check in and find a seat.  Otherwise, you'd be better to fly another airline where you choose your seat.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

For people who do not abuse the preboard option I do recommend checking in normally as you would 24 hours prior to departure, then if you do not like the assigned boarding position, purchase the upgraded boarding. This is a better way to guarantee a good boarding position when compared to EarlyBird which is not primarily intended to improve boarding positions. This method also allows you to evaluate your free option and decide if you want to purchase an upgrade. The cost difference between EarlyBird and upgraded boarding is minimal on non-stop flights.

--TheMiddleSeat