Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Upgraded Boarding

Jalanscott
Explorer C

Don’t buy it unless you are trying to avoid a middle seat. I purchased upgraded boarding for my wife and I. I knew it was a gamble, but I wanted the emergency exit row as there are only 2 seats and not 3. It was a full flight. I got boarding positions A10 and A11. When we got on the plane all 4 emergency exit row seats had been taken by people in the pre boarding group. These are supposed to be people that need extra time to board because they have a physical issue. Why are people allowed in the pre boarding group and in the emergency exit row? If you need to be in the pre board group, you have no business in the emergency exit row where you could be responsible for opening the emergency door for the rest of us. 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Upgraded Boarding

SWDigits
Aviator A

@Jalanscott wrote:

If you need to be in the pre board group, you have no business in the emergency exit row where you could be responsible for opening the emergency door for the rest of us. 

Southwest agrees, here is the official Southwest wording:

"It's important to keep in mind that Customers who preboard may not occupy an exit seat."

Source (look in the section labeled "Do passengers with disabilities get to preboard?):

https://www.southwest.com/html/generated/help/faqs/boarding_the_plane_faq.html

Customer | Home airport DCA

Re: Upgraded Boarding

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

Pre borders are not allowed to sit in exit row seats. This is one policy that I've seen enforced strictly.

What likely happened on your flight is that through passengers took the seats you desired. On Southwest, flights are often a continuation of a previous flight, and as such include connecting passengers. 

When you purchase Upgraded Boarding, you can inquire if the flight is a continuing one. I'm not sure if the through passenger count would be available to the gate agent, but it's worth inquiring.