Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Upgraded boarding with connecting flight

PSU85
Explorer A

I have an upcoming flight to SLC. I'm booked on a business select ticket. I just added my son as my companion. If I understand correctly, he will not get an A1-15 boarding group as a companion. My SW card gives me 4 boarding upgrades per year. The flight to SLC has a stop with a plane change. If I choose to upgrade his boarding (assuming its available) will I have to pay for the upgrade for each leg of the trip? I'm A-list if that matters at all.

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Upgraded boarding with connecting flight

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

It seems you understand that typically companions get a boarding position next to the companion pass holder, but in situations where the CP holder purchases a BS fare ticket this does not happen.  When you purchase an upgraded boarding position at the gate my understanding is that it applies just to the flight you are boarding, not to subsequent flights.  I believe the justification is the same as why you can only buy the upgraded boarding at the gate and not online, you need to interact with a gate agent who can verify availability of the boarding position immediately before the flight.  If you were to buy for a connecting flight that could be many hours before departure of the connection and the data may not be available or accurate.

No one loves to hear this or to do it, but if you are traveling with just one other person you should have no problem saving a middle seat and have your son board in his normal boarding position instead of purchasing an upgrade.  Furthermore, depending on your son's boarding position you could probably go back a number of rows and have success saving an aisle or window.  If you insist on being 99% sure of getting an aisle and window then you should go ahead and take advantage of the upgraded boarding positions.

--TheMiddleSeat

PSU85
Explorer A

Your logic makes sense and confirms what I was thinking.

Thanks.

dfwskier
Aviator A

Are you A-List?

If so, why not cancel the Business Select ticket and then buy a lower price one that would let you and your companion be next to one another in boarding position?