Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Upgrades

rmcneill2027
Explorer C

Being A-List Preffered I can change flights same day but it puts me back at the end of the A boarding group.  When i do this i am not allowed to upgrade to Business Select.  Why turn down my $40 when I'm boarding anyway what difference does the position make to the airline.  You're passing on free money.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Upgrades

chgoflyer
Aviator A

A-Listers without a A boarding pass can always board between the A and B groups. And anyone can pay the Upgraded Boarding fee ($30/$40/$50 depending on location) if there are open A1-15 positions. If you were turned down, it was because there were no positions available, not because you're A-List.

Note that Upgraded Boarding is not the same as an upgrade to Business Select. Depending on the fare you originally paid, upgrading to BS can be very expensive (you pay the difference to full-fare), but it will include all the BS perks in addition to A1-15 boarding (more points, free drink, fly-by lanes).

bec102896
Aviator A

You should be able to upgrade if you are cleared from the standby list before boarding and spots in the 1-15 are available but if they don't clear you because the flight is full until 10min before you wouldn't want to buy that anyways since the A group would have boarded before you were cleared.

I have paid for the 1-15 boarding before as an A Lister no problem after being cleared before boarding started but not sure why they wouldn't let you pay for upgraded boarding unless it was full already.

Blake

foleybird
Explorer C

I have had issues the last 3 times I have tried to buy A1-A15 after clearing A-List standby at the counter.

Twice, the agent was patient and helpful, but had to call into the help desk. However, it took anywhere from 5-15 minutes, thankfully there was no line. The other time the agent refused to try and said I was not eligible due to being a standby (even though I had cleared).