Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: What is the PreBoard Qualification

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

As a regular SWA flier I can understand the frustration of those who pay for early bird access only to be leap frogged by some folks who may be "gaming the system." I can honestly say I have overheard conversations about "getting on the plane 1st" and personally observed the healing powers of a SWA flight on more than a few pre boarders.

I take it all with a grain of sand and even laugh with my wife about the lengths some folks will go to. It's not worth getting mad about. Nothing would be gained by confrontation since, as many have noted not all afflictions are visible.

I usually enjoy seeing where my place in line will be and who's in front of me, since I take that as an indicator of A list seniority. Just last week I got A-16 on both my flights.   

A good rule of thumb is do the right thing yourself and let the rest go, life is too short.

dwjr
Explorer A

As an A-List Preferred customer for the past few years, I completely agree that pre-boarding is out of control and that the market value of Southwest status is rapidly dwindling.

Southwest also makes it hard to argue with their standard “auto-gen” response that they are just following federal regulations.

So here’s a proposed solution.  Like all airlines, Southwest has a significant lobbyist presence in DC.  Rather than pushing the company in a general way, let’s get them to expand their response to:

a) we agree there is a problem (what SW gate attendant doesn’t hold their breath many times per day as large family groups and the otherwise healthy and spry pre-board) but our hands are currently tied, BUT;

b) we are actively lobbying for changes to federal regulations to better ensure this accommodation is not abused.

I think it’s much more effective for concerned customers to push Southwest to acknowledge the problem and describe how they are lobbying for regulatory change.

As Southwest often monitors these thread, here’s your chance.  What say you?  Regardless of the regulations, is there a problem or not and what are you willing to do about it with your influence?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@dwjr wrote:

As Southwest often monitors these thread, here’s your chance.  What say you?  Regardless of the regulations, is there a problem or not and what are you willing to do about it with your influence?

@dwjr Southwest, or more specifically the people that would do anything with these suggestions, does not monitor this Community.  To submit this feedback you should use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page.  Use the write a message option.

--TheMiddleSeat

Sweetsikh
Explorer C

Airlines should make it mandatory for disabled persons to present their Handicap Sticker in their name, maybe on their mobiles to establish their disability. This will certainly deter those who abuse the system at the cost of others.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Sweetsikh wrote:

Airlines should make it mandatory for disabled persons to present their Handicap Sticker in their name, maybe on their mobiles to establish their disability. This will certainly deter those who abuse the system at the cost of others.

Airlines might want to do that

if the government let the airlines do that

It does not

Jean_Jasinski
Adventurer C

I have noticed the same thing about wheelchairs being used to get to the gate, but not from the gate.  I call it the "stand up and be healed" phenomenon.  People use this trick to also get through security faster as well.

Jean_Jasinski
Adventurer C

File a complaint to the airline using the "Contact us" button.  If enough people complain, they may change the policy.  

koalablue80
Explorer C

Yes, people totally cheat to preboard and it is infuriating. Not EVERYONE who preboards is gaming the system but a lot are, because as others point out, there are a huge number of preboarders on Southwest compared to say, United. What on earth is the point of having any kind of status on this airline, or being a frequent flyer on it, if anyone and everyone can boatd ahead of you by stating they have a disability whether they have one or not? Also, there's supposed to be no saving seats, and the most of the preboarders are always saving seats for others in lower boarding groups. People getting on after the preboarders should sit wherever they want regardless of who is saving what seat.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@koalablue80 wrote:

there are a huge number of preboarders on Southwest compared to say, United. 

That's comparing apples and oranges. There is no need to preboard on an airline with assigned seats since preboarding is for "Customers who have a specific seating need to accommodate their disability and/or need assistance in boarding the aircraft or stowing an assistive device". Having assigned seats eliminates the need to preboard as passengers are able to preselect their needed seat. 

Also, there's supposed to be no saving seats, and the most of the preboarders are always saving seats for others in lower boarding groups. 

There is no policy against saving seats. There's also no policy against sitting in a seat if no one else is sitting there. 

--TheMiddleSeat

jnevans726
Explorer C