Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Wheel Chair Assistance

Khayes128
Explorer B

It is not appropriate for Southwest to blame the current wheel chair assistance problems on the airport. It is my understanding that SW previously coordinated this program and subsequently passed it on to the airport.  SW indicates on its website that wheel chair assistance is available and should make sure it is provided.  I know there is a shortage of workers but an increase in pay would help things along.  I waited for 30 minutes in Milwaukee and over an hour in Vegas.

20 REPLIES 20

Re: Wheel Chair Assistance

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Southwest does not hire, employ, or manage the wheelchair staff, that is the responsibility of the airport. It's the same with all airlines.

--TheMiddleSeat

Khayes128
Explorer B

But who does the service benefit, the airlines that is why they should monitor it and make sure it is working effectively.  I won’t be flying until the situation is resolved.

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

@Khayes128 Who does it benefit? I'm pretty sure that the answer is the people who need a wheelchair.

Khayes128
Explorer B

Obviously you don’t I hope you never have too.  It favors the airlines.  There are many seniors and disabled people who wouldn’t fly otherwise.

dfwskier
Aviator A

Actually the service favors those who use it: seniors and the disabled.

That being said, the airlines do not provide the service. Airports do.

Khayes128
Explorer B

it doesn’t favor anyone if it’s not working.  Airlines have a responsibility to their customers when they offer the service on their website.  Plus it’s a requirement under ADA.

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

I understand your frustration

A good rule of thumb to remember, Airlines are tenants at the airports they fly to. They are not in charge of the airport property. 

Maybe try arriving earlier and as frustrating as this sounds, plan on waiting.

Khayes128
Explorer B

I always arrive early and pay for priority check in which is a waste of money when they cannot get me to the gate on time.

Khayes128
Explorer B

The Air Carrier Assistance Act requires AIRLINES to provide wheel chair assistance.