Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Wheel Chair Assistance

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@Khayes128 Have you actually read the Air Carrier Access Act? I was trying to let this conversation go since the facts were stated clearly earlier, but obviously there continues to be a misunderstanding of what is required. Sections of the ACA pertaining to airlines only relate to what happens on planes, not denying passengers boarding due to handicaps, etc. What happens between the airport curb and the boarding gate is not the airlines' responsibility. Airports need to be ADA compliant and you are welcome to bring your own wheelchair which the ACA requires airlines to accept. No one is required to push wheelchairs around the airport. It's a service offered as a convenience by the airports.

--TheMiddleSeat

Khayes128
Explorer B

Have you actually read the Act if so you must be dyslexic.  Maybe you can benefit from it.  I work in the legal field and will be contacting the media when I return to let them know how poorly disabled and senior flyers are being treated.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@Khayes128 lol, says the guy that didn't even state the correct name of the act.

Have a lovely time trying to get someone to listen to you.

--TheMiddleSeat

Khayes128
Explorer B

I will be heard I’m sure the Media and County Executive will be very interested in how badly this is being handled.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@Khayes128 Ok, please keep us all updated. Can't wait to hear more

--TheMiddleSeat

Khayes128
Explorer B

I will.

Khayes128
Explorer B

The saga continues when I arrived at the airport for my return flight we were told there were no wheel chairs available.  After numerous requests finally got one 30 minutes later.  Luckily I reached my final destination at 10:30 pm so the airport was pretty quiet and assistance wasn’t a problem.  I’ve contacted SW and will contact the Media tomorrow.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Sigh... 

Have you contacted THE AIRPORT?

That's who can actually fix the problem 

Perhaps some nice person at the media can inform you of this. 

--TheMiddleSeat

Khayes128
Explorer B

I have contacted the airport they rely on the airlines to let them know how many chairs they need for each flight.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Yeah. And?

Does Southwest saying they need 2 wheelchairs guarantee 2 wheelchairs will be available? No. That's where the airport needs to manage the contract they have with the companies that provide wheelchair services.

--TheMiddleSeat