Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Wheelchair/paralized

Deetru
Explorer C

hello,  my husband and I are going to be in a wedding in December and it will be in Hawaii.  I have flown before,  but he has not.  My husband was in a bad motorcycle accident that left him paralized.  He's paralized from middle of stomach down.  He has his own chair.  I was wondering if he's able to fly?  He can transfer from his chair to seat.  Is there a place his chair can be stored?  Will he need to be in first class where it's more room?  Never had to deal with this before.  Please advise me in what to do.  

Thank you 

Denise Trujillo

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Wheelchair/paralized

franktravel
Aviator B

Southwest Airlines does not have service to Hawaii and does no have first class cabins. 

DfDrPepper_23
Frequent Flyer C

@franktravel

I wonder why they don't have service to Hawaii,but service to Great Britain? Absolutely makes no sense. Yup, it must sucks for not having first class cabins. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@DfDrPepper_23 wrote:

@franktravel

I wonder why they don't have service to Hawaii,but service to Great Britain? Absolutely makes no sense. Yup, it must sucks for not having first class cabins. 

?!?

Southwest has no service to Great Britain.

I see that you post here frequently, but it often seems like you have no idea what is being discussed. Are you ok?

Southwest's service to Hawaii is currently on hold due to the government shutdown. At some point, Southwest will resume ETOPS proving flights, and be granted FAA approval to begin selling and conducting flights to Hawaii.

Lovey12
Explorer C

Yes he can transfer to the seat. They will put him in an aisle chair. Then he transfers to his seat. No need to sit in first class. I fly every month. I'm paralyzed as well. He will be fine. Just purchase a flight and enjoy. 

Lovey12
Explorer C

Also they will put his chair under the plane and bring it back out when you arrive at the destination.

cindymayberry
Explorer C

plz help, flying with my paralized son,and ive been warned that his specialized power chair may get destroyed what do i do to  prevent that from happening?

DfDrPepper_23
Frequent Flyer C

@cindymayberry

Call the customer service relationship to inform them about the sitituation. if the problems arise, I would suggest that you contact the attorney, and or, call the local tv station to let them know what is going on with the power wheelchair.

cindymayberry
Explorer C

i was told that they take them apart is that so?

DfDrPepper_23
Frequent Flyer C

@cindymayberry,

I do not think so, they shouldn't do that. If they did some damages to the power chair, they should compensensate for the damages.