Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Wheelchairs

Newbie2SW
Explorer C

February  was my very first time using Southwest.

I bought the Early Bird and I am happy with that but when we got to our gate there were about 14 wheelchair people and their families.

I heard one ladies family member say "Mom" you have to be in a wheelchair so you can be with your husband even though you don't need one".    I heard another say, I got this special boarding pass to get on first from baggage even though there is nothing wrong with me just because.

Then the announcer announced if you want to purchase an upgrade- come to the desk.

Why would anyone want to upgrade?  All the wheel chairs and their spouses/caretakers get first pick and then the rest follow who have already bought their positions.

I love Southwest and all they do but they need to change how they board people with disabilities and fake diasabilities.  Only the real needy need to have preference first.

15 REPLIES 15

Re: Wheelchairs

bianca6195
Explorer B

I understand flying can come with its challengs, but I do beleive Southwest does try their hardest to make it as painless as possible. Wheelchairs do take precedence when boarding, despite those who have upgraded their seats. An airline can't ask someone to prove their disability, so it mainly falls among the integrity of those using the system.

I understand it can be frustrating, but despite who gets on first we are all going to land at our destination at the same time. 

Happy travels!

Jmounts
Explorer C

Whenever I fly with Delta, American, United you very rarely see people in Wheelchairs.  But getting on the plane today in Tampa there was at least 30 people who got on the plane first.  I just don’t understand why there is so many on SW?  

rtbarron
Frequent Flyer A

@Jmounts wrote:

Whenever I fly with Delta, American, United you very rarely see people in Wheelchairs.  But getting on the plane today in Tampa there was at least 30 people who got on the plane first.  I just don’t understand why there is so many on SW?  

The answer to your question likely has more to do with Tampa than Southwest. I've worked at the airport for two of the airlines you mentioned and can say from experience that certain Florida flights (Tampa, Ft. Myers, Ft. Lauderdale and West Palm Beach especially) are notorious for having more wheelchairs than normal, as are Las Vegas and Springfield, MO fllghts. During the winter, it's not uncommon to see Florida flights with 50-60 wheelchair passengers! On a related note, Salt Lake City and Orlando flights are known for having far more gate-checked strollers than normal.

It's just the nature of the travelers that fly to those destinations. Lots of older people who need wheelchairs travel to and from Florida

Blake5
Explorer C

Anyone can pre board instead of paying for the early bird. I fly over 100 flights a year and see more and more people doing it. Today I spoke with a couple in their 20’s and they was laughing about it. It’s ridiculous but they found a way to beat the system. I would say over half pre boarders are very healthy.

spacecoastbill
Frequent Flyer B

Its a result of the no assigned seating and the extra cost for a chance at an earlier boarding.

Just say you need to preboard, and you are there.  The airline cannot refuse you to preboard or dictate where you sit (exit row excepted).

Patience
Explorer C

I really don't understand the complaints about wheelchair passengers. My 85 year old sister and 65 yr niece need wheelchair assistance due to health reasons. Yes, they look healthy but health issues don't always look obvious! They could stand in line once there but if too long would be hurting. What is the rush with the rest of passengers? Everyone gets on eventually and you just sit longer the quicker you are on!

I travel different airlines and no one seems bothered by waiting on wheelchair passengers.  Just seems SW customers are biggest complainers. For those whose husband has a wheelchair, he can save a seat for you so you don't have to "fake it"! But sometimes you just hate to leave them alone...I understand and I think I can wait a little longer. Patience and a little empathy goes a long way. 

jshuffield
Explorer C

If pre-board requests cannot be refused, then EVERYONE needs to request preboard  status. This will force Southwest to do something about the fakers. I’ve never seen so many wheelchairs on every flight I took this past week, and there were at least a few people in those wheelchairs I saw up and walking prior to boarding. Southwest has to find a different way of dealing with this, and the only way to make them do this is for everyone on the flight to request preboard  status. 

mrsstats
Adventurer C

If you have to have proof to get a handicap parking sticker why can't they make you provide the same to preboard?

maryh1959
Adventurer C

some handicaps do Not have to be about walking some are lungs or other invisible diseases.