Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

When boarding the plane, is ID checked at the gate?

BsYadav69
Explorer C

At MIA, I had a really strange encounter when I boarded a Delta flight to JFK.

My husband, who is in the military, boarded ahead of me after presenting his ID so that we could board in the military section. After he passed, I was required to produce my ID and boarding card before being let to cross and have the gate agent scan it. My spouse claims that she was wearing a TSA outfit, but I wasn't looking closely enough since I was perplexed by the requirement that I show a government ID after passing through the TSA screening.

Has anyone recently encountered a circumstance like this? It just struck me as being so strange. Since I've been flying for work on a weekly basis, I've never encountered something similar.

Thank You,

6 REPLIES 6

Re: When boarding the plane, is ID checked at the gate?

floridaguy
Aviator C

TSA has been, in my opinion, out of control for too long.  I would recommend filing a complaint.

You would have had to present your boarding pass and ID at the TSA screening.  There is no reason to require it again.  However, if they did, they did.

Originally, any lawsuit against TSA would get dismissed and now the courts are willing to hear more complaints.  Like anything, this has gone too far and now those nasty and hateful TSA people are being held accountable for their actions.

Start with a complaint and then pursue accordingly.

tappingmom1
Frequent Flyer B

@floridaguy 

You wrote, "...nasty and hateful TSA people..."

How is that constructive, positive, helpful, or kind?  Regardless of how one feels about TSA, those types of barbs are inflammatory and only provoke anger. 

Yes, free speech and blah, blah, blah...but the Community User Guidelines dictate otherwise.

floridaguy
Aviator C

The original contributor expressed concern over being ID by TSA.  There was no apparent reason and suggesting that a complaint be filed is appropriate.

The general public's frustration with TSA has boiled over.  That is why their once "immune" status from tort law is in decay.  There are many stories and examples of how TSA agents behave badly.

Here are only a few.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/ravenishak/worst-tsa-experiences

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@floridaguy regardless of your opinion of TSA there is no reason for your language and name calling. Please start behaving.

--TheMiddleSeat

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@BsYadav69 yes, TSA does occasionally perform random ID checks at the gate when boarding. Nothing to be alarmed about and certainly nothing to sue anyone over. If you have specific issues with how it was done submit your feedback to TSA.

https://www.tsa.gov/contact-center/form/complaints

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

@BsYadav69 yes, TSA does occasionally perform random ID checks at the gate when boarding. Nothing to be alarmed about and certainly nothing to sue anyone over. If you have specific issues with how it was done submit your feedback to TSA.

https://www.tsa.gov/contact-center/form/complaints

Additional screening is specifically allowed, so although it may be inconvenient or the usage may seem inappropriate, it is allowed for them to ask.

If the major complaint was about inconvenience then i don't think it would be worth your effort to submit anything.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.