Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Why Aren't SWA Crew Members Wearing Faces Masks at Airport Security Check Points

ncioll
Explorer C

I have flown four times in the last two weeks on SWA and have repeatedly be exposed to Southwest Crew members going through airport security check points with no face covering, often passing 1-3 away from myself at the checkpoint.  While this is only 10-20% of the SWA crew members, this is very disturbing that they may be infecting the rest of us.  Can anyone explain why this is acceptable behavior?

Thanks,

Rubin

14 REPLIES 14

Re: Why Aren't SWA Crew Members Wearing Faces Masks at Airport Security Check Points

jksobonya
Aviator A

IMO they should be wearing face masks.

--Jessica

Re: Why Aren't SWA Crew Members Wearing Faces Masks at Airport Security Check Points

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

I don't have the answer for you, but I've seen 100% compliance on my travel.  Now I will admit, I've not passed any at Security checkpoints.  I would think that any employee at an airport would/should have to have one on.

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

Sorry to hear you are noticing employees not wearing masks. You can Contact Customer Relations so they document your concern and follow up. 

ffflyer
Frequent Flyer B

They aren’t wearing masks because no one is making them do so. SWA should be firing any employee walking through an airport or on a plane talking to a passenger, without a mask properly in place. 

it saddens me to see so many selfish ignorant people who won’t wear a mask in public. 

But until there are firm penalties in place and enforced to correct this rude and dangerous practice, we will continue to see people without masks endangering everyone around them. 

mjpuz
Explorer B

***They aren’t wearing masks because no one is making them do so.***

Agreed.

On my last Southwest flight some weeks ago, I observed the crew when they entered the departure airport, and again when clearing US customs at the destination airport

In both instances, the captain was carrying a cup of coffee with his 'bandanna' mask worn low around his neck; and two flight attendants wearing masks below their noses

(The act of drinking coffee presumably the captain's excuse for not wearing his mask while walking through the airport, with subordinate crew members following his example)

Worse, during the flight I observed flight attendants walking past passengers who were not wearing a mask - not engaged in eating or drinking - and saying nothing

Thus I was compelled to speak to the lead flight attendant, and request she politely instruct the errant passengers to wear their masks at all times when not engaged in eating or drinking   

As in most things, leadership comes from the top

When both the captain and lead flight attendant on a Southwest flight demonstrate their evident lack of concern,  it seems obvious that

- their respective department managers, and

- Southwest senior management,

have not 'stepped up' with policies appropriate to the present public health crisis

To be fair, Southwest has reduced available seats to provide increased 'social distancing' during flight

That said, increased distance is far less effective at reducing airborne transmission than wearing a mask

My recent experiences on Delta, Alaska, and American flights - airlines that

- specifically communicate before flight departure their policy of banning non-compliant passengers from future travel, and

- vigorously enforce their mask policies with frequent cabin 'walk-throughs' during flight 

stand in marked contrast to the inconsistent application of policy observed at Southwest 

I now favor these airlines in my frequent travel for work, and - regrettably - will only book Southwest for future travel after they demonstrably 'raise their game' in this regard

chgoflyer
Aviator A

I flew a couple of weeks ago, LAS-MDW, and found mask enforcement was very strict. Announcements were made at the gate in LAS multiple times, and I heard similar announcements from nearby gates. The OPs agent stated that masks were required to board, and I heard her tell a pre-board passenger to make sure their mask was worn correctly (it was below their nose). Onboard, the FA made multiple announcements, and more then once I noticed an FA telling a passenger to pull their mask up. I also saw passengers eat very slowly, with their mask around their neck for significantly longer than it takes to eat the snack packet. But overall, passengers seems to be compliant. My biggest issue is with deplaning, which continues to be an unnecessary scrum as soon as the bell is rung.

Unfortunately, it does seem that, despite having a strict mask policy, compliance and enforcement are variable. I know that United has threatened their crews with firing for not wearing a mask but I haven't heard anything about Southwest having any similar policy. It seems sad that it would have to come to that. But it's also sad that mask wearing has become so politicized in the US, to the point that people willfully disregard scientific evidence in favor of supporting a political position that actively risks their health.

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

this post is from quite a while back.  I'm like you, I see all SWA employees adhering to the guidelines of mask-wearing.  Flying to Dallas in a few weeks, maybe I will report back in after that what I see.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@SWFlyer007 wrote:

this post is from quite a while back.  I'm like you, I see all SWA employees adhering to the guidelines of mask-wearing.  Flying to Dallas in a few weeks, maybe I will report back in after that what I see.

Agreed. And please do.

Some newer posters have resurrected some older threads, and are suggesting that mask enforcement isn't really happening anymore -- that flights can be "50% passengers not wearing masks," apparently with no FA enforcement or reaction from other passengers. I haven't flown since that flight a couple of weeks ago, so I'm unable to post a new trip report. I'd appreciate data points form a many sources as possible.

YeahNoMaybe
Adventurer A

mjpuz... 

Just FYI.  There is no such thing as a LEAD flight attendant at Southwest.