Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Why buy Business Select?

STL243
Explorer C

I fly weekly and purchase business select. With the amount of pre boarding some legit and some not it makes no sense for me to pay the extra going forward. 

I had  A3 today and wound up in row 6. I am an A list anyway. 

I am ALIST and wil be companion pass after 6 months of flying at $25,000!

can anyone at Southwest give me reason to continue paying a premium?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Why buy Business Select?

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@STL243 wrote:

I fly weekly and purchase business select. With the amount of pre boarding some legit and some not it makes no sense for me to pay the extra going forward. 

I had  A3 today and wound up in row 6. I am an A list anyway. 

I am ALIST and wil be companion pass after 6 months of flying at $25,000!

can anyone at Southwest give me reason to continue paying a premium?

If possible, try to avoid flights that are continuing on the same flight number. That will eliminate people who remain on the plane and move around before boarding starts.

I see "STL" in your name though, so I'm sure there are a lot of contiuing flights through STL so it may be difficult to avoid them completely and still take preferable flight times.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

basslaw2010
Frequent Flyer B

Busniess Select tickets get you an A1-A15 boarding position, a free alcoholic beverage, are refundable, priority security lane at some airports, and a lot more rapid rewards points per dollar spent on airfare than Anytime or WGA fares.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Buying BS solely for the boarding benefit makes no sense when you can pay $30-$50 at the gate for Upgraded Boarding. (Or are A-List, which offers almost as good of a boarding position.) Most people who buy BS do so for the refundability, and/or the point earning bonus.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@chgoflyer wrote:

Buying BS solely for the boarding benefit makes no sense when you can pay $30-$50 at the gate for Upgraded Boarding. (Or are A-List, which offers almost as good of a boarding position.) Most people who buy BS do so for the refundability, and/or the point earning bonus.

Pretty rare for me personally, the main times I have done this was for last-minute travel and it doesn't make much sense to buy Anytime fare when BS is available for more points and perks for relatively little extra money. If the incremental cost over the WGA fare is small then I would buy it. (Besides having the refundability which is nice too.)

If there are cheaper WGA tickets I go for that in general though. Refundability doesn't matter much to me since I fly monthly or so, I can reuse travel funds fairly quickly, and I wouldn't ever have so many canceled flights that it would be overwhelming. My travel tends to be pretty predictable.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.