Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Why is passport info needed again for check-in?

Shawn555
Explorer C

We went to check-in for our flight to Cabo and Southwest asked us for our passport info again, even though it was already input on our reservation at the time of purchase. This delayed our check-in as we had to track down our passports, and we received not-as-good boarding positions,

Why did Southwest ask for this  information again if they already had it?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Why is passport info needed again for check-in?

rtbarron
Frequent Flyer A
Solution

In my experience when traveling internationally on other airlines, presenting my passport to the agent prior to boarding has always been required. Even though airlines already have your passport information in your passenger record, they are still required to verify your passport prior to boarding.

In some countries (Germany and the UK, for example), you may present your passport two or three times before getting on the plane.

Re: Why is passport info needed again for check-in?

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@rtbarron wrote:

In my experience, when traveling internationally on other airlines, presenting my passport to the agent prior to boarding has always been required. Even though airlines already have your passport information in your passenger record, they are still required to verify your passport prior to boarding.

In some countries (Germany and the UK, for example), you may present your passport two or three times before getting on the plane.

I have always thought that they want to avoid creating a problem where they know you have a passport and take you somewhere, but when you show up at customs at the location you don't have it.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.