Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Wow...this seems a bit like flying in East Germany before the wall came down

OCReporter
Explorer C

Miserable experience in San Antonio today. Went to the airport for our flight, checked our bags, had lunch, found our gate and THEN received a text that our flight had been delayed...and then cancelled. Talk about a late notice. The weather was perfect and the airport was only moderately busy. Little help from the Southwest gate staff other than some furtive attempts at rescheduling. THEN we had to scramble to cancel hotels, find our checked bags, cancel rental cars, appointements. etc. THEN we had to rent a car to go home and then return for a 4 a.m.ish flight tomorrow. We really no longer trust the airline to be able to actually keep its flight schedules. Little to no help from Southwest staff...other than to note that this is just the way it is now. And...they say don't expect any kind of timely response from the company. Really? Does this experience really represent Southwest's corporate values? Driving is looking like the better alternative now. 

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Wow...this seems a bit like flying in East Germany before the wall came down

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Since this is a customer to customer forum you may want to contact Southwest directly to provide your feedback. 

Contact Customer Relations

--TheMiddleSeat

Re: Wow...this seems a bit like flying in East Germany before the wall came down

bec102896
Aviator A

Yes the weather was nice in San Antonio today (hot but nice finally) Thursday not so nice. Anyways where you were going may not have had nice weather or maybe the plane needed to go out of service and that may have caused your flight to be cancelled. 

Flight delays and cancellations happen all the time (yes last minute too) airlines can't predict weather, crew problems, or maintenance issues days,weeks, and months in advance. 

Your best bet is to reach out to Southwest as suggested that way they can look in to what happened with your flight. 

I've flown in and out of San Antonio many times and have always had great service even when our flight arrives late like this past Monday at 2am they still greeted us with a smile. 

-Blake

OCReporter
Explorer C

Thanks for the reply. My main problem was the very late notice of the cancellation with no info on what caused the delay/cancellation. Add to that the lackadaisical response by Southwest staff was concerning. I fly out San Antonio frequently and this is something new…in a bad way. I always thought Southwest had something special going on…this was way out of whack with their stated corporate values. 

jksobonya
Aviator A

I once had a flight get cancelled as I was on my way to the airport - but that was a few years ago, and not Southwest. The weather was perfect where I was, too, so I have no idea why it was cancelled. Sometimes things just happen ...

--Jessica

keasbey
Adventurer C

Lol yes, I completely agree with topic title. 

No clue why people choose to pay more to be restricted for crackers and an extra luggage piece 😓 🤣

Passenger1C
Aviator C

@OCReporter  I totally get your frustration. I too have experienced this (AA, DL, UAL). One thing I always take away from the delays/cancellations is how I was treated by the airline. Sorry this happened. 

SWA Passenger, Community Champion