Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Wrap my luggage with clear wrap

mmaderob1_
Explorer C

Im in phoenix AZ going on a flight to lax then to africa. The question is can i wrap my luggage with clear wrap before i check in the airport?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Wrap my luggage with clear wrap

jksobonya
Aviator A

What purpose will this serve.

--Jessica

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

You can, but as @jksobonya alluded to, I'm not sure why you would.  TSA can still decide they want to open and search the bag and if someone really wanted to get into the bag a knife would make quick work of it.

--TheMiddleSeat

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

As someone who has spent a lot of time in Africa (and the Middle East), I understand. It is common in both of those regions, but it isn't really done in the US. You MAY be able to get your bag wrapped at LAX. As people said, there is no assurances that the TSA won't cut the wrap, but TSA bag searches aren't as common as they used to be. You probably would be okay. In the US, we frequently us TSA locks. They are locks that the TSA can open. As is the case with wrapping a bag, they won't stop a determined thief, but they are enough to slow them down and make them think that another bag is an easier target.

KLaMonica
Adventurer A

Two things to consider when doing this  -

1. Is your luggage at or under 50 lbs? I've seen so many travelers have the worst time ripping through the clear wrap, because they have one bag weigh 51 lbs, and the other weigh 47 lbs, so rather than pay the $75- overage fee, they'll transfer items to the lighter bag. All that does it take up precious time you may need getting through the TSA security check, or getting to your gate on time.

2. Is there an item TSA may even suspect shouldn't be in your luggage? A 10 oz container of liquid, what LOOKS like a lithium battery/device, et c? This will cause them not only to remove the wrap, but may delay your bag and arrive in destination on a later flight. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@KLaMonica wrote:

2. Is there an item TSA may even suspect shouldn't be in your luggage? A 10 oz container of liquid, what LOOKS like a lithium battery/device, et c? This will cause them not only to remove the wrap, but may delay your bag and arrive in destination on a later flight. 

Large liquids are allowed in checked bags. Lithium batteries are not.  while

Lithium batteries are allowed in carry on bags. Liquids larger than 3.5 ounces per item are not.