Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

baggage limit

marcoscarlotto
Explorer C

guys, dumb question.

I'm traveling from ATL to MCO on holidays, bringing 2 bags of 50lbs. Should I pay the $75 fee or not ?

never checked more than one bag, wanna make sure I'm not misreading the terms....

4 REPLIES 4

Re: baggage limit

dfwskier
Aviator A

You should be fine.

Bags that don't exceed 50 pounds don't hit the overweight bag thershold.

You might want to be prepared to take an item or two out of a bag where you guessed wrong on the weight,.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Just to clarify 50.1 lbs and you (might) pay...you may want to weigh them at home if you think you are close. 

They don't average them together, so two at 50.0 is better than one at 49 and one at 51 (pay).

Time permitting you will have a chance to re-arrange or take some items into your carry on and re-weigh. I did this once for one time at PHX at 50.5 and one at 48.5 - spread it all out on the sidewalk and got two at 49.5 lbs FTW.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

SWDigits
Aviator A

@DancingDavidE wrote:

Time permitting you're will have a chance to re-arrange or take some items into your carry on and re-weigh. I did this once for one time at PHX at 50.5 and one at 48.5 - spread it all out on the sidewalk and got two at 49.5 lbs FTW.

Smiley LOL we had a similar experience in Barcelona this summer.  We always travel with a luggage scale to prevent this but the battery in the scale died while we were there!  We guessed to the best of our ability in our hotel then found a new, inexpensive scale to buy in one of the aiport stores before security.  Our guesses were wrong, we were too heavy in some bags and too light in others.  We shuffled items between bags and weighed until we go the mix correct.  No excess baggage fees.

Now we travel with the luggage scale AND extra batteries.

Customer | Home airport DCA

jksobonya
Aviator A
Solution

Each bag must weight 50 lbs or less to be considered free. You will pay if you a) have a bag more than 50 lbs or b) check more than 2 bags. 

--Jessica