Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

boarding with small children

Hfam1017
Explorer C

What is the current policy for boarding with a 2 year old? I get major anxiety not being able to get off the plane right after it lands and my daughter will be very ready to get off asap too. We've only flown with her on one other trip and fortunately had my handicapped grandmother with us so were the first ones to board to and from Orlando 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: boarding with small children

dfwskier
Aviator A

Morning.

You'd be eligible for family boarding. 

That means that you'd be able to board right after A group boards.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

If you check in 24 hours prior to departure you may end up with an A boarding position which would give you a better position than family boarding.  If you're really concerned about your position, you could also buy an upgraded boarding position at the gate.  That would assign you a spot within A1-15 (if they are available).

--TheMiddleSeat

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

These gents have it right! Here is what the SW site says officially: “Two adults traveling with a child six years old or younger may board during Family Boarding, which occurs after the “A” group has boarded and before the “B” group begins boarding. If the child and the adult are both holding an “A” boarding pass, they should board in their assigned boarding position.”

You might also find this Knowledge Base article about traveling with kids helpful.

Good luck!

-A List, Companion Pass holder