Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

checked luggage on canceled flight

jhmontgomeryjr
Explorer C

Our flight from BWI to STL was canceled last night and SWA did allow people from the flight to retrieve their luggage.  We started to wait in the line at the baggage office in the baggage claim area.  After an hour and still another two hours of waiting ahead of us (guestimate based on the length line) we went home.  We have now been on hold on two separate phones (one the main 800# and one the baggage phone #).  

All we want to know is where our luggage will end up.  We rebooked for tomorrow and need our bags for our connection to Denver for a ski trip.  Chrismas gifts and ski clothes all in our bags.

Will SWA leave the bags in STL or try to send them back to BWI? 

Thanks 

8 REPLIES 8

Re: checked luggage on canceled flight

dfwskier
Aviator A

my recommendation would be to stay on hold if possible plus reach out to Southwest via twitter or facebook.

click on contact us below and then scroll  to the bottom right of the ensuing page to the words "connect with us" to find links to twitter and facebook.

Hope you can get things worked out for your ski trip.

jhmontgomeryjr
Explorer C

Good ideas.  Will do.

Thanks!

floridaguy
Aviator C

This is why Southwest needs to implement realtime tracking of luggage sooner than later.

The technology is right there.

jhmontgomeryjr
Explorer C

At the least, a statement of the policy for how the bags on canceled flights are handled. 

Also, I don't understand why they didn't just give everyone their bags back.  They had never been put on the plane, as far as we could tell.   People were not going to be rebooked for a few days and needed things from their bags.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

The bags were most likely sent to baggage claim. Yes you waited for some time, but did leave so it's not possible to say the bags were not returned as you are saying they should have been.

--TheMiddleSeat

jhmontgomeryjr
Explorer C

A SW person told us that the bags were being sent to our original destination (STL) on the next available flight.  However, he seemed very junior and we did not have a lot of confidence in him.  

BWI is 45 minutes away but I am planning to go if we don't get through on the phone - 2+ hours on hold.

jhmontgomeryjr
Explorer C

I appreciate the advice TheMiddleSeat, however, it was incorrect this time.  

I just returned from BWI and spoke with the Baggage Service Office.  One of our bags made it to STL. It will remain in STL until we pick it up or ask for it to be rerouted.  The other 5 are still at BWI and will "be sent on the next available flight".  They could not tell us which flight that would be.  We have a flight from STL to Denver tomorrow at 2:55PM>  Crossing our fingers that they arrive in STL before that flight, though we are taking carry-ons just in case. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

When I fly to a ski destination, I always carry my boots and helmet with me, and stuff pants in the boot bag or backpack. Wearing my ski jacket, obviously.

An airline can lose everything else, but I have enough to ski.