SMINTZ
Explorer C

I purchased early bird bur not allowed to check in 15 hours before flight

SWA billed me but will not honor early bird

13 REPLIES 13

Re: early bird check in not honored

jksobonya
Aviator A

Not being able to check in at 15 hours isn't an early bird issue. With EB Southwest 'automatically' checks you in 36 hours ahead of departure, where the standard check in is 24 hours. Despite that, you still have to 'check in' yourself to retrieve your boarding pass and print it, add it to your phone, etc.  The benefit of EB is that you can check in any time within 24 hours of departure and your boarding position has already been assigned to you. Without EB, your boarding position is assigned the moment you check in.

If you aren't *able* to check in at all, that's a separate issue. 

--Jessica

Cooley22
Explorer C

I bought it One time will never do it again why charge people $20.00 to get to the front of the line when The disabled get on first then most of the time parents with small children then it should be Early board check-in. Just another way to get your money. I dont know why you can't just pick your seat when you book your flight.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Cooley22 wrote:

I bought it One time will never do it again why charge people $20.00 to get to the front of the line when The disabled get on first

Well federal law dictates that that happen 

then most of the time parents with small children

Early bird can occasionally get you an A boarding spot so you board in front of them

then it should be Early board check-in. Just another way to get your money. I dont know why you can't just pick your seat when you book your flight.

The reason is that Southwest long ago found that the boarding method it uses is the most efficient. It allows faster turnaround and thus more flights/plane/day. That in turn helps keep ticket prices low..

Is that a good enough reason for you?

dfwskier
Aviator A

Wrong..

If you bought Early Bird, SW secured your boarding position (checked you in)  automatically 36 hours before  departure time.

When you actually pick up your boarding pass (24 hours or one hour before departure time) makes no difference

SMINTZ
Explorer C

I would like to add, I purchased early bird due to the fact that I am 6'6" and with a cracked knee cap, if I have to fit into a sardine can seat, it will be extremely painful

By getting a low boarding #, I would be able to get bulk head

The false advertising by SWA does not mention that one has to be an ultra preferred flyer  to be entitled.

I wasted 50.00

Secondly, I called and after being on hold for over an hour, I was unlucky enough to connect to a jaquine(?or something like that)  she was extremely rude.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@SMINTZ wrote:

I would like to add, I purchased early bird due to the fact that I am 6'6" and with a cracked knee cap, if I have to fit into a sardine can seat, it will be extremely painful

By getting a low boarding #, I would be able to get bulk head

The false advertising by SWA does not mention that one has to be an ultra preferred flyer  to be entitled.

I wasted 50.00

Secondly, I called and after being on hold for over an hour, I was unlucky enough to connect to a jaquine(?or something like that)  she was extremely rude.

You're a bit unclear on what exactly happened, perhaps because you have some misunderstandings, I suspect, about how Southwest's boarding system works. But, if you purchased EarlyBird Check-In and were not checked & assigned a boarding position at t-36 then you will receive a full refund of the EBCI fee.

You now have multiple options available:

-- Talk to the representative at the gate and ask to Pre-Board. Your knee injury should allow that.

-- Alternately, you can purchase Upgraded Boarding at the gate, which will give you an A1-15 position.

Hope this helps.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

This sounds like a case for pre-boarding @SMINTZ if you need a specific accommodation, not Early Bird which is geared towards someone which a preference and who has an extra $20 in their pocket. (Cost may vary.)

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Explorer C

I would add this comment to the early bird process, I have commented to customer service and they act like I am anti-family.   I have a problem with the fact that I purchase(d) the early bird to board with priority over ALL those choosing not to do so.  I realize that I am not guaranteed an A-boarding pass, that is NOT the issue. My request to SW is that if I pay for an early bird check-in, and do not get an A boarding pass, that all of us that did make that purchase and gave SW additional income for a service... get to board after the A-listers who also did not get an A boarding pass, BEFORE families that did not choose to pay for this service.  I have a family too, when I travel with them I purchase the early bird pass just as I do when I travel for business.  If you are a family and do not pay for the early bird then you should wait until those that paid extra board.  Failure to honor this by SW is a failure to honor a fee based option.  I would like to hear others opinions. SW cannot understand why I think if I pay for a service I should receive it, they believe its somehow the luck of the draw and I am anti-family for thinking just because I paid extra I'm entitled to what I paid for.  As Airlines comeback and more choices are offered this will come into play.  I don't fly SW for the lowest cost fare.  Many times they are not, I fly SW out of convenience to locations that my preferred airlines do not.  As a business traveler I prefer to book a seat at purchase and know where I will sit and don't have to pay stand in line for 20 minutes to ensure I get a seat of my choice.  Like I said I fly SW because many times it is the only or most convenient. 

Explorer C

I'm still looking to hear comments on the early bird boarding process change I have requested of SW and was expecting comments from the defenders of Southwest Airlines disguised as "Top Contributors" (probably employees of SW).

My comment is when I PAY for a service "to have priority boarding" SW should honor that fee based service by allowing those of us who did not get an A-boarding pass to board after the A-listers that did not get an A-boarding, BEFORE the families that did NOT pay for the privilege to board early.  

I am NOT anti-family, I have kids too, however if you pay for a service is should be honored or your money returned.