Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

firearms

devontecoleman
Explorer C

Hey guys, so i recently went to check in a firearm at a southwest terminal where i used a hard-shell locked (tsa lock) suitcase and my check in was denied because the gate agent said that it violated the recently updated firearm policy.....the "recently updated" firearm policy was not on the southwest website.... i was forced to purchase a case from "someone in the back" for cash only in order to check my bag and get on my flight. then they said they couldn't give me a receipt for buying the case since its kinda under the table... terrible experience with southwest and they seem to be standing by the fact that they were 100 percent not in the wrong. ....very unprofessional ... i came to southwest because of the low prices but be careful you get what you pay for...be careful when checking firearms with southwest airlines ....apparently they change policies and don't let their frequent customers know

13 REPLIES 13

Re: firearms

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

Sorry to hear of your experience with a under the table kind of transaction. I would Contact Customer Relations so they can look in to this and at the very least try and get you a receipt for the case they made you buy. 

Also one thing to keep in mind is policies can be changed by Southwest or TSA at anytime without notice. In this case I'm not sure about a policy change but it is one thing to keep in mind. 

-Blake 

devontecoleman
Explorer C

thank you for the response. I will look into this. I did not mean to post on this page twice. 

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

I've started seeing more and more posts in regard to people carrying firearms on flights.  I'm really not sure what to think about this at this moment.  I guess I was under the impression that firearms had to be in checked baggage, or am I reading all these wrong.  I'm sorry, I don't think any type of firearm would/should be in the actual plane. 

bec102896
Aviator A

@SWFlyer007 wrote:

I've started seeing more and more posts in regard to people carrying firearms on flights.  I'm really not sure what to think about this at this moment.  I guess I was under the impression that firearms had to be in checked baggage, or am I reading all these wrong.  I'm sorry, I don't think any type of firearm would/should be in the actual plane. 

Firearms are not allowed to be carried on flights (unless your an air marshal) they must be checked and TSA has specific rules that must be followed which you can learn more about on the TSA website just use the can I bring feature and it will give you all the current information. 

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

Thanks for updating me on that.  Since I have, nor don't foresee, carrying a gun when I travel I've never even visited that policy or information. 

spacecoastbill
Frequent Flyer B

Not exactly.

Federal officers like FBI, Secret Service, IRS can carry on board.

State and Local officers can as well with a NLETS message for authorization.

spacecoastbill
Frequent Flyer B

Why?  Firearms pose little to no hazard if fired in an aircraft.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@spacecoastbill wrote:

Why?  Firearms pose little to no hazard if fired in an aircraft.

Ask this woman how things go when a window gets cracked.  Bullets can crack windows.

https://www.businessinsider.com/southwest-passenger-torso-sucked-out-window-after-engine-explosion-2...

--TheMiddleSeat

spacecoastbill
Frequent Flyer B

No, they go through and leave a small hole.  The aircrafts pressurization system can compensate for that.

You are comparing a large piece of an engine slicing through a fuselage.

She wasn't "sucked" out, that part of the plane was exposed, and she got caught in the 400 mile per

Hour slipstream. 

Stop using movies as your reference.

I teach officers to fly armed, and part of that training is what bullets do to airplanes.